1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spraying in evergreens

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by joe2106, Aug 6, 2005.

1. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

I have a commercial property that has always been just a mowing account, but wants to spray weeds now in the evergreen bed. Is there a chemical that can safely do this w/o harming the evergreens (low growing)? It looks like crap and it would take 2 days to pull everything and it will be right back.

Let me know if anything would work. yes, I'm certified.

2. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

in cases like you mention I cover the plant with plastic bag and round up ... c
  3. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

I guess I didn't describe the situation well enough. The entire side of a building, about 10,000 sq ft is covered in low growing evergreens, and weeds are coming up in between. There really is no way to cover anything.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You impress me as a knowledgeable person. I am surprised that you don't do over the top herbicide. Yes it take several different applications of different herbicides.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

The Over The Top Apps Can Be Tricky...........especially The Weed Killers. Pre Em Arent That Bad And Are Relatively Safe To Do For The Ground Cover.
  6. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

What the h___ is this? How is an over the top application 'tricky'?
    He is right... pre em aren't bad... whatever good that would do for existing weeds.
    Showcase, what kind of work do you do?
  7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Fusalide II. also Im told that half rate roundup over rug junipers is ok in the fall. Never done it myself. Also sell them on applications of snapshot. If you are responsible for the weeding, you should invest in it yourself. You need a liscence to apply these of course. hope this helps. :)
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't try Roundup over Junipers at 1/10 rate. They are very susceptible to roundup. Try Fusalide and Manage on two seperate applications, days apart.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I made an app of Fusilade over a bed of Hostas about a month ago.

The grassy weeds are just dying out now.

I had a post on this before, and someone made mention that Fusilade WILL take a while to work.

I'm just letting Joe know that if the customer wants immediate results, that Fusilade is not the way to go. However, if you can spray and wait, then it will work for you.
  10. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me we need to know, first, what the evergreen is (juniper?) and what type(s) of weeds we're dealing with. (Grassy, broadleaf?)

If it is juniper, then you could indeed use Fusilade II for the grassy weeds, and if you have nustedge in there some manage on that.

If, on the other hand, it's broadleaf weeds inside of juniper, then what you want is Lontrel.