Spraying in the heat

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Knightcasper, Jul 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Knightcasper

Knightcasper LawnSite Member

We have had temps pushing 100 the last few days, with dew point in the mid 80s. I still see guys out there spraying. What is your take on this? Are they diluting the hell out of the chemical, or just praying they wont burn the lawn??

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's EXACTLY what they do. For granular, they back the spreader way down to close to nothing. The only thing you will see going down right now at full rate on unirrigated lawns will be insecticides and fungicides. I see these companies out throwing down their fert, then it just sits there for 3 weeks without rain. They have to do it, though.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Dilute and pray. Most of my accounts do not irrigate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I learned my lesson taking a PG on a lawn that was slightly crispy. Only spot sprayed, and put down .5 lbs N/K with 50% slow. It was the tracks of the PG that instigated a leaf blight outbreak, boy did that lawn look bad for a couple weeks. It has since come back pretty well, tracks no longer discernable.

But rule of thumb, lawn even a bit dormant, stay off!

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I decided it was a good time to take a vacation and went to the beach. not coming back til next week when its suppose to cool down!

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I was successful in convincing a client, that she did not want the lawn mowed... It may have grown a bit in the past week, but it had shrunk back, more... :)

Fert. in June, not again until Late August(if cool and wet enough), winterizer in Early-mid October and Broadleaf around Halloween(if wet enough)... That's about it, unless we need to spot-spray for braodleaf in the late spring as well...

Just a couple of days ago when we were predicted to come close to 100 degrees, here come the squirt and fert guys getting their money...

7. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

When it's hot & raining still, we keep the w/c at full rate but cut back the liquid fert. (add more water). Now that it's hot & dry, we have switched to dry fert & spot spraying. We put the dry down lighter on dry lawns & normal on irrigated.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Spurge, purslane, oxalis, crab...you gotta spray the hot weather weeds when its hot.
    I always reduced the fert rate for hot weather liquid aps. Avoids burn.

9. superiorlawnsofwestok

superiorlawnsofwestok LawnSite Member

Also helps to stop applications when daytime temps hit 95. Plants seal off and quit uptaking chemicals when it gets that hot. I spray early and late when this happens.

10. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

more spraying today....and some fert but the rain arrived a few minutes ago....grow baby grow lol
    Posted via Mobile Device