Spraying liquid fert threw PG

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firedude26, Jun 22, 2008.

1. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

i have a 7 acre job that i need to spray, i was wondering if i could spray liquid fert threw my PG? i remember someone saying that it wasnt a good idea spraying iron in there but i havent seen anything about just liquid fert.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you want to spray liquid fert? It would be a lot less costly to use dry fert. If you used enough nitrogen as liquid to make any difference, you would probably burn the grass because there would not be enough water to safely carry it. It is possible to spray weed killer and iron--but even so the iron can be a serious problem, unless it is a very high quality (and expensive) chelated iron.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've sprayed 12-0-0 Iron twice now, and with GREAT success. I would even say better the second time than the first, because I did it different, and covered the ground much faster. the first time, I was concerned with getting enough solution down, as it calls for a higher volume. I sprayed through the PG like I have sprayed manage through it. I ran in slow speed with the nozzles on high. With this setting, my machine delivers 2800 sq ft./gal.. (I spray 32M per tank, or 4000 sq. ft./gal.).
    When I first sprayed the iron, I went over it twice. It was a slow process in slow speed, and time wise, was impractical, but we were desperate. 2 days later, we had the greenest lawn on the block...by far. Just in time for a big party this guy was having.
    The next time, I mixed it different heavier and went over it at high speed (still covering twice - in opposite directions). Same effect, overall. The next time, (or I may just try this on my lawn), I will spray it at full strength for one pass and see what kind of results I get. I'll see if I am "good enough" not to cause streaks. lol:rolleyes:
  4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner, I'm curious as to the mix rate ounces/gal. and if you are using a Magnum or Ultra. I have seen iron tank mixed with great results, but the PG is so much faster.