Spraying my first app

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HazellLawnCare, Feb 13, 2008.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used a granualar product with dimension usually for my first application. What I am wondering is are there any benefits or disadvantages to spraying my first application. I have all the equipment that is necessary and it just sits as I only use it for one round of my program right now. Would I get better results by spraying round 1?

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to your website and saw that you are offering a "Free season of fertilization and weed control if you sign up for a year of mowing" are you really giving away a full season of fert and spray?

3. HazellLawnCare

Yes I am doing that. Everyone is always in shock of that but I am the highiest priced lawn guy in town and I bag everything. What I do is I figure an extra $5 or so on top of the price I usually charge for mowing. So my loss isn't as big as everyone thinks. Then after the first year I still charge more for the mowing and then I charge for the apps too. It works you just have to be good as selling.

4. MRMelton

MRMelton LawnSite Member

good marketing hazell

5. HazellLawnCare

Now that we have my marketing out of the way how bout some help on my original topic!

6. tgnb

tgnb LawnSite Member

Pros: Better coverage, better results (IMO), and you'll find that a lot of customers see more perceived value in the technique (since most of what they could purchase to DIY is in granular form... it makes your application a bit "special" since they can't do it that way).

Cons: Spraying a lawn will take you more time than spreading the same lawn. In addition to reeling your hose up after completion, you have to deal with it getting hung up on something every once in a while (juniper, irrigation heads not seated all the way down, yard ornaments, car tires, etc. Whatever it is in the lawn, the hose always seems to find it...) After 1 or 2 spray apps on a property, you should be able to figure out the most efficient way to get it done.

FTR, we spray 6 of 7 rounds. We have lots of centipedegrass, which doesn't like too much N. By spraying, it's a lot easier to apply very low N at a consistent rate.

7. HazellLawnCare

anymore input?

8. HazellLawnCare

wow no one else wants to add any thoughts?

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I can't believe you are giving away all your apps! WOW!

That is a BIG giveaway!

Have you priced fert lately?

10. kirk anderson

kirk anderson LawnSite Member

we do all liquid and have for .... the last ten years.. there is soluable barricade.. we use the generic version..and it works great...
    we also are converting to UFLEXX for our nitrogen base...
    Kirk Anderson
    firekiller968@hotmail.com