Spraying new lawns!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by blalawn, Jul 9, 2006.

1. blalawn

blalawn LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I picked up a new customer, new yard. The yard is about 8 to 10 weeks old. Didn't get off to a good start in my opion. Looks like all rye was used. Lot of weeds taking over. Temps been in the low to mid 80's. I've never applied a blanket app. this hot. Thinking about using 3way which is listed up to 90 air temp to knock out the weeds. Will be overseeding after app. but trying to get weeds under control. I know I should probably battle the weeds later in the fall. Also trying to eliminate competion for new grass. What do you guys suggest?
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

You seem to be on the right track...Perhaps add some tupersan to keep the crabgrass at bay...
  3. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

I would hit it with a postemergent herbicide in the early fall and overseed and fertilize a few weeks later.
  4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If the new lawn has been mowed 3 times, do the 3way on a 'good' day.
  5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I would wait and do the overseeding in the fall. You won't get much germination if any right now. When you do overseed, go with a fescue/bluegrass mix.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I do a ton of new lawns, and there is only one product in my opinion-Drive 75.
    Drive can be put down soon after seeding, and will control crabgrass, as well as broadleaf weeds. Label recommends 28 days after seed emerge, but I have used even sooner without negative results. It will even control crabgrass at least through the 5th tiller-usually with one app.
  7. blalawn

blalawn LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Thanks for the replys. I was just concerned about the new, existing turf. It has been mowed at least 3 or 4 times. LIBERTYLAND, hands down, Drive 75 is an awsome product. Knocked out crabgrass in 4 to 5 days. Not much luck on clover and wilted ragweed. Tested it on wild violet at another lawn.... wow. 4 days now, leaves, stems and all are yellowing. Speedzone didn't do that much damage.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

BLALAWN- you say you tryed Drive on wild vilot & it worked great? I hadn't tryed Drive on that, but I'm going to now...I hate wild vilot!!!!
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ryegrass.....good luck! Grows in clumps/doesn't "fill in" like bluegrass. In late summer - it gets "rust" (white shoes, small dogs, light carpet in your home). I suggest "Roundup" - then seed with a more desireable turfgrass. Bluegrass or turf-type tall fescue. We average 8 lawns per year where the home-owner wants their ryegrass killed out.