1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spraying over sidewalks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Flow Control, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys will place a rotor/spray and shoot over the sidewalk to cover turf or beds?
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

not me....very poor design IMO
  3. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Looked at a place today where the entire front walk was getting washed down daily.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you spray across sidewalks, the planet Earth will stop orbiting the Sun, bluebirds and daffodils will keel over and die, and the enemies of freedom will celebrate the onrushing doom of life as we know it.
  5. Hank Reardon

AND you'll get wet.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We just finished a neighbor hood community system install. About a mile of road with 4' of grass and then a asphalt sidewalk and another 4' of grass.

Rotors triangulated spraying across is what was speced.

Its pretty common on community systems here, but when we do a private install we don't usually do it.
  7. Hank Reardon

The place I mentioned was in a neighborhood community with cookie-cutter front lawns. The couple wants a bid to hot rod the system and make it work properly. Small lots with two zones for the entire landscape (turf and plantings all together). Nice.
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I think I've mentioned this before that if you water over public sidewalks here the "water-waster police" will have their knickers bunched up. However, a community to the east of me put sidewalks along a park edge creating parking strips that they water over with large rotors since the irrigation wasn't renovated. These zones start as early as 9:30 pm (been there... seen them) when people are still out and about. :)
  9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

To me it is white and black. You just don't do it. In recent years I have noticed a few walgreens with systems that have cut sooo many corners they are round. I assumed piss poor design by contractors that had to get the job no matter what. So about two weeks ago I was approached to do a last minute install for a new walgreens and said ok. I get the design from a "professional" and there it was rotors spaced two feet on on side of the sidewalk blasting over it to cover the treelawn area, also a ten foot strip with sprays spaced every 16', a triangle area with sides of 22' with just one spray. A area that was 78x100 with 3 rotors going 360. One area that was 20-22' wide with sprays spaced 13' only on one side. So lets just say that the "designer" hates me after 4 revisions in a week and even though it still leaves a little to be desired it will work.
  10. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

I've got a strip of grass between the road and sidewalk that's only 2-1/2' wide. When I was installing it, didn't know of anything to water such a narrow strip, so it's up and over the sidewalk for me (and I'm not the only one in the neighborhood).