Spraying Pastures for Weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Weed Man, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Weed Man

Weed Man LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Do any of you guys spray pastures? I see a lot of talk about turf, but not much about agriculture. I understand this is a lawn care site, but do any of you do pastures as well? and if so what is the cost comparison. I know some state require different certification for pasture. Thanks for any information.

2. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

I used to spray a bunch of pasture by air, several thousand acres a year. I still do a little by ground rig. Here in OK, you have to be licensed in the Ag Plant category to do any applications to farmland, whether it be pasture or crop land. I know it is the same way in a bunch of other states as well. Just check with your Dept. of Ag and they can tell you what your specific requirements are. If you decide to do it, there are two things you really need to watch out for: off target drift and temperature inversions. I've seen drift damage as far off target as 10 miles that was caused by an inversion. Good luck!

3. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

...I'm not sure what you mean by cost comparison. I charge pasture spraying by the hour plus chemical. You will need a different category liscense (ag herbicide instead of turf/ornamental). Drift is a concern as well as inversions. Personally, I haven't experienced an inversion. I would like to, just so I know what to look out for. I would say that you will make more money doing lawns, but then your labor is greatly increased also.

4. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

I have a farm, as well as doing new lawn costruction and bush hogging. In the last few years, I have seen the pasture/hayfield renovation business start to snowball. 2 summers ago, I did maybe 10 pasture "sprays" all summer. Last year, that number increased to 24 jobs. I already have 27 customers booked for my services this year. Based on past history, that number COULD double by summers end. :D

Check with state regulatory authorities. I do my spraying in Kentucky. We need seperate AG permits/license here.

99% of my spraying is with 2-4D, Grazon, or Round-Up. I do SOME liquid fertilizer spraying also, but not too much of the latter.

I charge by the hour. $100 for first hour, $80 for second on.... There's a "sur-charge" for marker dye, and/or anti-foaming agent that I provide. Then I charge for chemical. (cost plus 25%) ;)

From what I'm seeing, this is going to be a very lucrative venture in the future. Lots of "mini-farms" springing up around here. payup

My AG backgound plays well in this line of work. I spray 1400 acres of crop land every year. "This ain't my first rodeo"! :cool2:

5. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

Indydirtfmarmer... what do you use to spray pastures with? Is there an average size? Most of my pastures and crp fields are 1/4 to a whole section. My prices are 1/2 of what yours are. I'm gonna definately have to rethink that!

6. Indydirtfarmer

Around here, (Louisville Kentucky) everyone and their brother has 10 acres and a horse.... I do "pastures" that are as small as an acre, on up to the biggest so far of 45. My rates are based on an "average" of 3 to 5 acres. Bigger jobs usually get a break in price. I give them a "not to exceed" number. With my smaller sprayer, I can do an average of 4 acres an hour, set-up to finish. The bigger one will do about double that. 90% of my jobs are 1 to 2 hours.

I figured out last year that there's a HUGE demand for my services, and not very many contractors to fill the demand. payup payup payup payup payup LOL!

7. Weed Man

Weed Man LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Thanks for the insight. I have got the ag/herb endorsement and am looking forward to starting up here in a few weeks. Good luck to all this season.

8. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man give me a PM maybe we can both make some payup payup
    I about a hour and a half away..... Have 2 tractors and 2 sprayers !!!!!

9. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Indy do you have catergory 1A endosrement ??????

10. Indydirtfarmer

I've gotta check on what endorsements I have. I'm licensed in Kentucky and Indiana. I'm covered for both AG and golf course spray work in both states. I just got off the phone a few minutes ago about my renewal in Kentucky.

I'll shoot you a PM with my email and phone #. I get many request's for spraying all over central and western Kentucky. I'd be glad to send a few on to you. I'd rather do that than say no to a potential customer. I've got just about all I can handle at this point.

Let me know where you're located. (city?)