Spraying Pre-M's with Backpack

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by slimart01, Feb 12, 2008.

1. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

Anyone spraying pre ems on lawns? (Feedback)
    Can you get it down at a good enough rate?
    I'm thinking it would only be practical on lawns less than 5000 sq.ft.

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you want to? Granular is cheaper and easier to apply on small properties. I only use backpacks for surficant herbicides.

3. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I've had good results with a backpack and pre-m's, Dimension, Pennant, and Prodiamine mostly when I don't have the hydraulic sprayer with me. I've been applying at 1g/Msqft with a boom attachment although I suppose I could go lower than that but I probably don't do enough lawns with the backpack to be calibrated well enough.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've honestly never thought about using a BP sprayer for preemergents... Might be handy for those hot edges though. It's always tough to get the coverage perfect along pavement and sidewalks, and with the pre-em that's very important! I might give this a try this year for those problem areas. I used all granular otherwise, so I won't need to be covering whole lawns.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I was not satisfied with pendimethalin. Backpacks have no agitation and the wettable powder tended to settle out. No filters so nozzle plugged up. Plus when I bent over to put on my boots it leaked out the top and I got yellow in my shirt and all down my back. Yuck! Equipment is still yellow in spots. Every four gallons I had to measure the powder and mix a new batch. No more.

6. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Granulars work well in a lot of situations. Around shrub beds and things like that a backpack works pretty darn well and you can get excellent coverage that would be tough with granulars.

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

That's why I still have a drop spreader and and a hand grinder. I think for doing say a 2.5M front lawn, it would be difficult to get full coverage without missing some spots. A backpack sprayer will do maybe 3 foot swaths, as opposed to 10 or 11 foot swaths with a broadcast spreader? It just doesn't seem like the most effective way to get the job done. Then, you still have to mix, another PITA with a backpack sprayer.

If it works for some peoople, that's fine, but it's not my preferred application method. It's a whole lot easier to refill granular than it is to mix in front of a customer's house.

8. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Double this post on my behalf.

9. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I would think the time factor alone would keep you from doing it unless it was realy small under a th.use a dye to make sure you get it all you could forget where you have been. the results should be the same as long as put down the right amount and even it tacks practise
    My thought Charles Cue

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, but who uses wettable powders? I'm looking at aqua-cap in 2.5 gallon jugs of liquid. Not really much worry there... Though you DO still need some agitation since they are oil based. But a shake of the BP would suffice to get thru spraying some edges and beds.