Spraying program HELP!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wrestlingcoach, Oct 21, 2003.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

Next year my partner & I are planning to expand our mowing business to include weed/fertilization control. We just bought a 200 gallon sprayer ( LEsco). We need help on designing a program in Oklahoma ( Tulsa area ). Exactly 3 to 7 step program. what chemicals. We are both taking the test in Jan. .. If you could email me some examples @ shockleye@sandites.org thanks!
  2. Relly

Relly LawnSite Member

Have you chatted with the Lesco reps you bought your sprayer from? They do a real good job up here with designing lawn programs to fit my needs.
  3. wrestlingcoach

YES, but they gave us a real old program and he said, he was going to revise it this winter. So we bought some 3-way and Simezine and are practicing on our lawns and our parents lawn.
  4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Coach,

I am not familar with your area of the country but I would suggest you go to your cooperative extension for advise...It will be Un-biased and they will connect you with experts from local universitys that write and create programs that we all use today.

What I would like for you to practice is sprayer calibration.

Calibrating your sprayer: any sprayer
    accurate application prevents waste, assures good control and provides peace of mind.

1. Gallons per 1000 square feet

2. Three "unknowns" you will need to determine
    1. speed (MPH)
    2. spray width in inches (distance between each nozzle or pass)
    3. gallons per minute (GPM)

speed = distance (ft) x 60 / Time (seconds) x88

spray width (inches) = measure the distance between nozzles or width of pass.

gallons per minute = collect water sample from 1 nozzle for one minute.

3. Formulas:
    gallons per 1000 square feet = 136 x GPM / MPH x W

4. Example: Trimec Plus: " to control problem weed species in established Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, Tall Fescue..." rate is: 1000 sq. ft. : 3 fl. Oz. Trimec Plus in 1 to 3 gallons of water.

your calibration for 1000 sq. ft. = X gallons, then you add 3 fl. Oz. of Trimec Plus to the X amount.

NOTE: Always read the pesticide label.

This will help you a lot. Also Here in the east if you are not doing a low volume app. with a perma green and you are using a 200 gal sprayer with a 3/8 hose your pressure is between 50-100PSI at the pump and with a yellow chem lawn nozzle on a chem lawn
    gun you are spraying between 1.5 - 2.0 GPM.

When you spray put the spray gun in your dominant hand and hose behind your waist holding hose next to your waist.
    With your elbow bent 90 degrees(gun in same hand) spray in a quick left to right motion from the shoulder not the wrist.
    Practice with water first on some dry pavement or gravel so you can see where the drops are going. Make sure the drops hit the already sprayed wet area at least 2 times but not more than 3 times as you are walking.
    When you spray the lawn area I would suggest a 20% overlap on each pass ( ex. after walking and spraying a 6 foot wide pass overlap 20% on the next pass) This will avoid any skips or misses as well as any striping if you have liquid fert in the mix.
    Now you can calibrate.

These are good starting point numbers....You and your partner will have to fine tune your application rate based on the above formula. Also on those days when the wind is up a bit but you are in a bind to spray there is a spray addative I like called Nalco-Trol. It keeps drift down big time.

Hope this helps,
    Pete D
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I second this idea. This is what I have done to get started. Once you get going you will eventually tailor your program to what fits your clients best. I made the mistake of outlining my program on my estimate sheets. I would not suggest anything less than a 5 step program. This is what I offer now, but going to bump it up to a 6 step. I know some around this area that offer a 8 step program. More steps = more $$$
  6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Please consider taking agronomy or horticulture classes, learn it the right way and you will be able to build your own programs based on your knowledge.

Keep in mind that Lesco and other companies are in business to sell you stuff.

The extension services are good but not always up to the minute with info and sometimes can lean to the "no chemicals" persuasion depending on the agent. A good source of info is greens keepers or golf supers they can really help and some even have some free time in the winter to maybe look at you program and help you adjust it.
  7. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

I'll pass on a few words of advice. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

Until you have a couple years under your belt and have seen
    how different climate conditions affect the lawns, try to keep your program as simple as possible.

When you sell it, don't make promises you can't keep. You can't make it rain or cool off or warm up or quit raining, so don't promise results that depend on weather conditions.

Make your customers aware that it is a partnership in caring for their lawn. If they want the best results, they will have to help you with proper watering, mowing and generally following your instructions. If you set realistic expectations up front, you will tend to keep your customers longer.

Most customers first priortity is a weed free yard! Second is a dark green yard ( preferably the first to turn dark green in the spring)! If you can provide those two things fairly well the rest will follow.

Last but not least! Until you are very experienced with pesticides, read labels very carefully and follow them closely!
    Don't necessarily depend on what someone told you about a product. This could help prevent an event that could potentially
    harm your business, so C.Y.A.
  8. wrestlingcoach

My partner has his degree from Ok State U (#1 ranked in wrestling by the way) in horticulture but he is now a teacher/ wrestling coach like me. So in our part-time business is expanding. We are now practicing on our lawns. I have an acre yard and I followed the VAGUE directions on the jugs. Such AS use 2-2.5 pints( 3-way) per acre and mixed in a 40 to 200 gallons on water per acre, the sticker agent 1-3 pints per 100 gallon, Simizine put 2 quarts per acre with the minimum 15 gallons per acre. ..... .. .. .. So I put 2qts of Simizine,2 pts of 3-way & 2pts of stickers in 100 gallons of water And it took me evry bit of the 100 gallons of water on my 1 acre lawn. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT?
  9. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Thank You for sharing your knowledge.
  10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member