Spraying Round-Up After Pulling Ivy

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Wolfie's L&L, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Do you guys usually spray Round-Up or the like after you pull out ground ivy, to kill any remaining root systems? I'm almost done pulling out ivy at my house, and I am debating on whether to do this or not.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Jason

2. lwngrl1

lwngrl1 LawnSite Member

Round Up is a vegatative weed killer, if you pulled most of it out, you would need a systemic weed killer. If you have a Lesco around, or a good supplier, they will help you out with the right stuff.

3. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Roundup is a systemic " non-selective " herbicide. It needs to be applied as a foliar application to be effective. Microbes in the soil render it inert almost immediately. There are other options. What is the intended use for this area?

Regards,
    Active

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd recommend - if you got most of the roots - to just finish what your are doing and pull out whatever may show up.

I'm really beginning to see the soil damage and pathogen problems that pesticide use is starting to cause, more and more.

I use pesticides only in limited amounts at home any more. If it was for a client - we know they won't pay for the labor most times.

But at home, it would be nice if us landscape pros used that area to get a real grip and feel for the art of working with soil care.

Feel free to visit my site and read my root feeding page (see menu) sometime to see where I'm headed.

You will see I'm not anti-chemical, but I am pro starting to do more of the right thing when possible.

This will be my first year - well next year - to strart spraying compost tea for disease control. And soil drenching with it.

If I have this right - aobut 3 gallons of liquid after straiining a 3 day brew in a 5 gallon bucket, has as many beneficial microbes in it as would be in 6 tons of compost.

That's why it's so effective for foliar disease control. The high species populations competes with the "bad guys" to such a degree that the "bad guys" don't colonize regions of the foliage.

:drinkup:

You guys seen how to make a cheap brewer with a bucket?

Photos of one are at the last photos of my online album at:

http://imageevent.com/mdvaden/treerepair

5. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Thanks for your responses!

Action, right now I am just getting rid of it, but next spring I am going to plant some foundation shrubs in the area (the ivy is along the perimeter of the house). I am also getting topsoil put in around the house too in the late fall/early winter months (hopefully!)

I will check around at Lesco (the nearest one to me is in Lancaster) to see what kind of help they can give me.

Jason

6. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Lesco's ok, keep in mind that they want to sell you something.

Really you have 2 options:

1) Wait and use a high rate of roundup on anything that sprouts. ( recommended ) :)

2) granular fumigant, such as Dazomet ( Basamid® ), which is a RUP and there are no " little mistakes " when using it. ( not recommended ) :(

Glycosphate ( Roundup Pro ) is your best bet. If you get the non-pro formulation then use a " spreader/sticker "

Best of luck,
    Active