spraying round up with dogs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jtlandscaping, Jul 21, 2008.

1. jtlandscaping

jtlandscaping LawnSite Member

I am going to spray round up in my backyard today, I will be spraying along the fenceline and in flower beds. The only problem is that my dogs like to chomp on tall grass/weeds along the fenceline. How long should I wait after applying roundup before its safe for my dogs to use the back yard?

2. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

dogs are an ineffective way off spraying round up. i'd use a backpack sprayer

3. jtlandscaping

jtlandscaping LawnSite Member

Yeah your answer didnt help me at all, any one else???

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

tie them up for a day. After a day it will be safe. Did you read the bottle?

5. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Once it is dry it is "safe" unless they chew the weeds you spray.

6. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i've always heard once it is dry it is safe, but tell my customers to wait 24 hours to be safe.

what is the difference between chewing the weeds and the grass? why would the weeds be more unsafe to chew than grass?

7. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

My bad, no difference. I just categorize any unwanted plant that you spray with round up a "weed."

Certainly can't hurt anything waiting a longer period of time. If you are dealing with a PITA I might tell them to wait 24 hours, too.

8. nik

nik LawnSite Member

Some weeds are more toxic than others and more toxic to grass. If your real concerned about the dogs eating grass, put out some dog and cat repellent where you spray. There are many things worse than roundup that a dog could get into. If it was a real problem we would know about it by now considering how long roundup and other glyphosate products have been on the market and how universally they are used.

9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would not worry to much. You can always get a new dog.

10. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all on the label. Since dogs really don't graze, to be safe, look for when you could let cows back into a pasture.:drinkup: