Spraying sealcoat on driveways?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by Mdirrigation, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I do not understand why everyone wants to spray . you get 1 small clog in the nozzle when you are even 10 foot away and you just sprayed the house or door . Now you have to clean the hose and pump. I go out with a factory 550 pro unit set up with spray ,and I broom 98% of the driveways. The only time I spray residential is when I have a long drive and dont start spraying till I am far away from buildings , the sprayed areas get 2 coats. I have gone thru 2200 gallons so far this month and havent sprayed yet. I just built a 200 gallon tank just for residential , small , light , can be pulled by a small truck. It has no spray capabilities , just a mixing tank with brooms .

Get sealer all over a door , or on a house and watch your bottom end drop real quick . Been there in the learning process. if you realy want to learn the tricks of sealcoating dont experiment , go work for a company for 1 week , or go out and watch the some of the competition work .

2. seal4cash

seal4cash LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Thats why it's a good idea to use filters in the tip of your wand to minimize this from happening.

3. Spraying is good for parking lots or large driveways, my customers driveways have curbs and sidewalks and are usally small, everything is 100% hand brushed and my cutomers like that, brushed in with a brush to get that sealer right in there,best part there is no down time and cleaning.
    But i would put the tank on the truck, that way you can still tow other stuff.

4. Mdirrigation

I am talking sealcoating , not spraying paint or gilsonite . The machine has strainer baskets .

5. seal4cash

seal4cash LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Maybe it is better to spray "paint or gilsonite" and make the same $$ as you pushing a broom in much less time...

6. caterpillarcat

caterpillarcat LawnSite Member

i only do driveways occasionally but i'm not a big fan of spraying either. the thing about doing a broom is you can make that coat a little thicker it seems and i just like doing it that way.

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't spray driveways when seal-coating, but this looks like it could help :)
    Check in the able catalog, to see it in action. It attaches to the wand.

ABEDGR.jpg

8. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

I spray 99 percent of my residential driveways. I usually do about 500 a year. I have never had a problem whatsoever. as long as you clean your equipment, flush your wand, clean your strainer basket and aggiate your sealer you shouldnt have any problems. (If your using a trash pump and a square tank than yo probably have to worry. All of my equipment is sealmaster. I usually cut in about 4 feet away from houses with a brush or squegee and than spray. Some houses we use backer boards made out of aluminium..... Over 2000 gallons in a month huh thats alot. haha alot to do by hand that is. I sprayed one parking lot this weekend that took 1500 galllons. 100k sq ft. cant imagine doing it by hand but hey if you like brushing have fun with it....

9. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

oh yea who cares if you have to clean your hose and pump.. as for if you have to clean up a door or paint a house. thats why you pay insurance.

10. Mdirrigation

Honestly , I wouldnt put down gilsonite at 2 times the price .