Spraying Trimec

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CLC03, May 10, 2006.

1. CLC03

CLC03 LawnSite Member

I have not done a lot of spraying(other than spot spraying) in the past. I have just purchased a 200 gallon sprayer that will allow me to spray larger accounts. I will be spraying Trimec 992 fairly soon. Any thoughts on past experiences, results, or recommendations on mixing other products/fertilizer, application rates, etc. I don't want any suprises after my applications. What rates work best for fairly new lawns(mowed 2-3 times) with a lot of weeds? Thank you for your cooperation and input.
  2. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

We use the highest rate at 2qts. per acre. You will also want to
    run a surfactant like surf-king at 1qt. per 100gal of finished spray.

I get best results when using a lower volume per acre, such as 60 to
    90 gal. finished spray to acre. This will allow you to spray all day on
    200 gal. sprayer. We also use a fan spray tip instead of the lesco
    shower head. We use the tee-jet lawn gun with extension allowing
    you to use whatever type tip you like. You get better coverate this

At 2qts. acre with surfactant, your rainfastness will be good at 2hrs
    after application.
  3. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Use 2-3 pints to the acre and not 2 qts! Add a surfactant like Silken or Complex to improve the control. If you are spraying the entire lawn, I would throw in some Six Iron.
  4. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Be ready to re-spray if you don't use at least 1.5 to 2 qts. to acre.
    If you are using a low volume sprayer, such as we do on big acreages,
    1 qt. will do. I don't think you will be happy with results with lower
    rate, especially if there is much henbit. With warmer summer temps.
    you should be fine at 1 qt.

Surfactant is a must at low rates, don't waste money on iron, unless
    using msma with it.
  5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I agree with the rate in the 1.5-2 quarts per acre. This puts you in the 1-1.5 ounce per thousand rates, which is where the label has you going. A little N or iron will help the plant absorb, just like any other herbicide. Use surfactants if your target weeds need it or rain is likely. As far as tank compatibilty with other control products or fertilizers, the label is pretty clear and if you need to mix something more exotic as part of your routine, do a compatibilty test in a jar, just as the label says. In case you're unclear on any of the rest of this, it just might be on the label..lol
  6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

FWIW, 0.75 oz per M works well for me when the target weeds are mostly fireweed and dog fennel. This only applies for properties that are already in good shape. New accounts are a whole different matter.
  7. I use Trimec 992 through a Perma Green and I get great results. I mix 1.4 oz. per 1,000 sq/ft and I also use Lesco spreader sticker.

If I run into a lawn with heavy weeds or tough weeds, I mix .02 oz per 1000 sq/ft of Quicksilver and reduce the Trimec 992 to 1.1 oz. per 1000 sq/ft. I get outstanding results with that mix. I don't use Quicksilver very much because it's pricey.
  8. Absolute Weed C

Absolute Weed C LawnSite Member

I agree I use 1.5 Qts to the 100 and I am still within Guidlines. I add 1/2 once Quicksilver to the mix and go less on the surfactant. No service calls this way. But, mix what is required to your area
  9. CLC03

CLC03 LawnSite Member

I have to spray a lawn within the next couple of days and will not be able to get any surfactant. Will I be OK spraying only Trimec? How will my results differ? Just curious. Thanks for your assistance.
  10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you will get good results without a sticker, but you can add some dish soap and it will work as a surfactant.