Spraying weed killer when grass is brown

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by buddhaman, Aug 31, 2006.

1. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

I myself don't have an applicator license to spray for weeds. Therefore I hire it out on the accounts that want this application. During July the grass turned totally brown due to lack of rain and high heat. No mowing for 3-4 weeks. During that time the company I had previously hired came and sprayed for weeds and fertilized. I would think this was a bad time as nothing was growing to properly absorb anything. Am I wrong in this thinking? Maybe I will just have to look into getting my certification and license myself. Only that there isn't much call for it here in this area.

2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Granted in the heat is not the best time to kill weeds, and you should never spray weed control on a lawn that is in heat or drought stress. That being said, if the lawn is not showing signs of stress and your working in the cooler periods of the day, (I cut my rates back at 90 degrees and wont spray anything in over 95) there is nothing wrong with spot treating weeds during the summer months. Any good applicator would attempt to take care of any weed issues when on the property as long as he follows the abovementioned cautions.
    If I was treating a lawn that had some summer weed issues but it was under stress or it was 100 degrees I would ask the homeowner to water the lawn for a couple days and I would schedule it to come back by in the early morning to spot treat those weeds.

3. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

It was very hot at the time of the apps. 100-110 degrees. As through now, I have seen no decline in weed growth or change in amount of weeds before the spray or after.

4. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

If it was 110 degrees when he sprayed for weeds, your right he probably didnt hurt the weeds at all and probably burned the turf.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of weeds? The hot weather weeds like tough spurge and purslane are growing fastest when it is hot--treat them then. The longer you wait on spurge the more mature and tougher it gets. You may need two treatments. Weed control works fast in hot weather. Speedzone works in a couple of hours on susceptible weeds like purslane. As for fert--you may lose some due to evaporation and volitilization. But when water comes it will go to work. Lawns that were fertilized recover quicker when rain comes.
    If you want your company to apply treatments at a particular time--plan to pay them for the extra trips, that are needed.