1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spraying when hot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by weed wacker 2, Jul 22, 2011.

1. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

we did 2-4 d today at 105 degrees at a rate of 4 oz per gallon and spot treated alot of lawns 35 non irrigated .....in afew days we will know of problems.....but i think we are good
    Posted via Mobile Device

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

WOW bigger nad's than I got.
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Glyphos is much cheaper:laugh::laugh:
  4. XLS

gly was put down last week lol did everything they said.......killed everything but 2-4-d is as cheap as the gly for us
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In hot weather, I will use Celsius,Certainty,dicamba, Image,Manor, Monument, Revolver and Speedzone or other ester based herbicides only if the heat is not accompanied by totally windless conditions. I wish it would get a little warmer here. It is July, almost August and it is still windy, cloudy and raining. Normally, July in Hawaii goes up to 90 and stays that way til November. Many of my applications applied at the end of June, beginning of July failed.:cry:
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't say stop spraying, did I?

All I was suggesting that it's wise to follow label directions. Especially with the Imprelis thing going on. Any damage done to lawns or trees that were not treated according to label directions, and you're going to be in heap big trouble.
  7. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

Fortunately for me I have mostly commercial accounts that can be treated at the crack of dawn. That's 4:30 am in these parts right now. Last year I sprayed a 12 acre corporate office complex at night because it is lit-up so well.

I never blanket spray when temps reach 85+. I have done plenty of tests and even slight winds can cause drift for thousands feet or more. Especially when using the hand held trimmer wand. I think it is irresponsible to work under these conditions so I work long hours when the weather is favorable and early hours when it is not.
  8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes Mark, I probably overstated it a little much but the fact remains, common sense (as well as labels) should direct you pretty well. Experience should also be a guide. Sometimes I forget there are those here who lacking in that area as well.
    When Celsius first came out, I avoided jumping in with both feet until I was able to do some testing myself and research on results others had using it in real world situations. I would have done the same if imprellis had been labeled for warm season turf. There is some truth to the saying"Only Fools Rush In". Sorry for going a little overboard in that last post.
  9. XLS

what do you guys do about dallas grass this hot?