Spraying when its so hot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jtrice11, Jul 24, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a townhouse complex that is asking me to spray for broadleaf and crabgrass (post emergent obviously). I would spray Momentum Fx and Drive 75. But I'm a little nervous about spraying right now, its so hot and 30% of the turf has gone dormant. Should I hold off or is it safe?
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't spray when it's over 80.

I don't have that many accounts though either, I do only the ones that I maintain.

I see you're from the Minneapolis area....

Here's your weather for the week, I'd do it Tuesday if you can squeeze it in, either that or just tell them you're not going to do it when it's warm out.

If you can squeeze it in early in the morning you should be good to go too though, like 6 am, but I'm not sure they're going to appreciate the noise that early. :)
  3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would be really rolloing the dice if you applied it when it is very hot. Is rain in your forecast anytime soon?
  4. jtrice11

No rain in the near future. This is my first year spraying, I think I'm going to tell them I have to hold off until we get some moisture and it cools down.
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Never have and never will spray in July and August but i am in the hot Midwest. To risky with the temperature.

READ product labels for temperature. If temperatures could go above the label temperatures within a few days of spraying then I wouldn't spray.
  6. jtrice11

what is they are insistent? I'm already breaking all kinds of industry best practices to keep this guy happy (mowing too short, pruning at the wrong time of year etc...). This is one rule I just really don't want to break.
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

mowing to short might be the reason for the weed and crabgrass problem right now. and if you spray the crabgrass it will turn orange when it dies, so just wait until the fall and it will die off by-its self after the hard freeze, then apply pre-emgt in the spring. university studies show that spraying weeds in the fall achives more control then anytime of the year, then spray in the spring for the dandy's. try to educate you customer on the culture practis, that help eliminate these problems now.. all part of a IPM
  8. LawnProfits

LawnProfits LawnSite Member

jtrice - If they are insistent then have them sign a waiver of damage. They may think more clearly if they are responsible for any damages that occur.