Spraying

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KV, Jun 5, 2001.

1. KV

KV LawnSite Member

Well one of those funny questions to me. I am new to the business this year and I have had alot of customers asking me about spraying to kill of the weeds in their yards. I have mentioned that I do not have the tools to do this but after several askings I want to know what equiptment is needed and what kind is good for the money? So if ya have any suggestions the new kid is taking notes! Thanks in advance.

KV

2. evergreenlawn

evergreenlawn LawnSite Member

The first tool is being certified by the state to spray.

3. KV

KV LawnSite Member

yeah that's what i heard through the grapevine. what do you have to do just call and get all the state requirments about it first?

KV

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

In Mi you have to be licenced (which includes taking the core exam and a turfgrass exam), also in order to be a application company you have to have an employee (or yourself) that has 2 yrs expierience in applying pesticides. or a degree in a related field. Sounds like you could be out of luck on this. You can sub-contract your applications, BUT you cant advertise that you do apply pesticides (this is a new law) you have to be a licenced application company to advertise the use of pesticides

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

5. KV

KV LawnSite Member

yeah well i kind of figured it was a little more in depth than i thought but thanks for the info!

KV

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

can you fertilize with out a license in Michigan? A good fert schedule will help your weed battle... Dave g :angel:

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

KV, CHECK WITH YOUR COUNTY AGRICULTURE AGENT.
    HE PROBABLY HAS THE BOOKS TO STUDY TO BECOME A PESTICIDE APPLICATOR.
    IN NC IT REALLY ISNT THAT HARD.

8. You can market a pesticide free lawn care service. With or without mowing maint.

You will have to dethatch and core aerate 2-3X per year, mow high, fertilize 6x per year and use the garden claw.

Former Chemski Lawn accounts have to go somewhere. Since they have like have a 40% account turnover the work is out there. With a good yellow page add you could get all the "greens" who are anti-pesticide.