1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

sprays and rotors on same valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by fireman1173005, Jul 28, 2012.

1. fireman1173005

fireman1173005 LawnSite Member

I have always heard not to put sprays and rotors on the same zone because they need different pressures to operate. Anyone know if this is correct or if I can put them on same zone?

Brian

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

As a rule this correct. The goal is to have the same PR rate on the same valve.

This often means not mixing and matching spray nozzles from different MFG's much less rotors and sprays.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Why? Valves are cheap,an extra zone on the clock, big deal, you'll have better control of application, plus the precip rate will prolly be different between sprays and rotors.

4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Use mp rotator sprays and match precipitation rate with rotor nozzles.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

That would be ok for a retrofit on a bad design or where the HO changed the landscape but I would not design one that way. Rotors don't have that great a matched PR on the same nozzle tree either but they are what we have on large areas.

6. muddywater

Why? The precipitation rate can be matched to be exactly the same. I do it all the time on new installs where I have a rotor zone with a little nook that is just too small for a rotor, but inefficient to have another zone with 1 or 2 sprays on it.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

What brand and tree are you using? I know you can get close to the same PR particularly if you have pressure regulation.

My point being is FC, TQ, H and Q on do not even match exactly the on a rotor.

I am sure there might be an condition where it is the best option but as a but under BMP of water conservation, mixing on the same station is a bad idea. I could likely match drip to a rotor too but you will not see that on my designs.

8. muddywater

9. muddywater

You could mix drip and rotors if they are watering just plant material and no turf.

10. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Mixing is just plain cutting corners on a new install period!

I cannot believe some of the things I am reading. Do some of you have any pride in your work?

There are always customers that are willing to pay a premium for a premium product!

How can you train installers when you are okay with mixing sprays and rotors??