spread dirt and seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by turfmanagementspecialty, Apr 17, 2008.

1. turfmanagementspecialty

turfmanagementspecialty LawnSite Member

How long has it taken you to spread about a yard and a half of black dirt, by wheelbarrow (100ft away) and then spread seed and rake in?

2. TerraJeeps

TerraJeeps LawnSite Member

With a big 8 cu. ft barrow it should take probably 5-6 heaping loads, I hope the site is down hill from your truck. Probably an hour or so when all is graded and such... but i guess it depends how fast you can push the wheel barrow.

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Depends.... is it already down to bare dirt and reasonably level? Is the new soil sitting there, or does it have to be shoveled off a truck? Is the soil wet and clumped, or drier and easier to break up? How perfect does the job have to be? On a small well maintained property, I would take more care in leveling.... if it's the end of a 3/4 acre backyard, not so much.

I'll say this, no way I could do the job as well as I would want in an hour. I'd say at least two under favorable conditions as I mentioned above. I would also top dress with peat moss rather than raking it in. You didn't mention rolling or tamping the seed in.... that's more time too. Then, I would hope you are using a starter fert, preferably one with siduron, aka Tupersan.

I did a 600 sq ft renovation today... for a discerning customer. Deep dethatching twice, collecting debris, aeration, bringing in new soil and compost, leveling, speading seed, top dressing with peat, installing a Futerra roll and fert took over 4 hours. That is the Cadillac version of my renovation plan options. The higher the quality of the seeding, the better the results.