Spread Homeowner's Pesticide?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grassbustin, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Grassbustin

Grassbustin LawnSite Member

If the homeowner buys the grub control and supplies a spreader can I spread it for them and charge for my time without a license?
  2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately No. You need a pesticide license to spread any form of pesticide on someones property commercially, no matter who owns the pesticide. This applies to pesticides that are readily available to homeowners.
  3. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

Lush is right, you cannot apply w/ the license, even if you do it for free and they make a donation to you! LOL

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on your state law. Here in Florida the "Lawn Boy" clause in chapter 482 allows you to apply pesticides if the homeowner supplies all material and equipment. The homeowner must bring the product to his own property.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Not in my state. If you apply any EPA registered pesticide for compensation, they can nail you.
  6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't understand how that would work in Florida, The states are enforcing Federal Law when it comes to pesticides, they can make laws more stringent, but not more lax...
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Don't do it !!!

...for the simple reason of liability !!

If you're "hired" to do something normally deemed a "professional service", but you've used the customer's product...
    You set yourself up for potential big time law suits and court time down the road if stupid things happen like:
    1) dog gets (mysteriously) sick, and has to go to vet
    2) pesticide gets on lawn of 'organic minded' neighbor
    3) someone complains about prills on sidewalk, makes you "clean up" (in other words.."re-seal") surface:cry:....etc...etc..
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

You tell him that he has to push that spreader around.:waving:
  9. cwags73

cwags73 LawnSite Member

1.Get licensed or walk away.
    2.Get licensed or walk away.
    3.The headaches and liability are not worth what little they will pay you. If you are not going to get licensed, leave it for someone who is.
  10. miketull8

miketull8 LawnSite Member

okay, another question....I am trying to figure out how to get licensed in the state of Michigan...I get the runaround. I have heard that you need two years under a licensed contractor to get the license, but I have also heard that you can take an additional test to get it....anyone know the facts? I don't mind taking classes to get it, I understand why we need licensing, but I don't understand how to aquire it!!! Help!!