Spread mulch by use of a leaf loader?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CK82, Oct 30, 2007.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Has anyone used there leaf loader to shoot/spread mulch?? I have a little wonder with a 16hp engine, I was told by a guy at the dealer, that he used to work for a landscape company and they used there leaf loader to shoot/spread mulch! I really am looking for someone who has done this, I will be bidding a 70yd. mulch job as soon as I possible and knowing this would help a lot!

Thanks, Chris

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but I'm sure it takes some practice to do it right, you don't put it down the same way as with a rake...
    The closest it might come to is hand spread, I doubt your job would use much past 20 - 35 cubic yards via this method.
    You can put it down thicker, but that defeats the whole purpose.
    Of course it's a lot faster, they do entire subdivisions with these trucks around here, like Brandermill in a matter of hours :laugh:

As for whether you can do it with a leaf sucker in reverse I'm not sure, but I am sure the engine / hoses are the same or similar.

bloweranimation.gif

3. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I was told you suck the mulch out of the trailer as you would suck up leaves, and have a 100 ft. hose attached at the discharge. Its just hard to imagine the leave loader could throw mulch 50 feet through a hose let alone 100 feet of hose.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt try it, they have mulch spraying type machines/trucks for this purpose.

5. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Its the same concept, dont you think, the mulch blowing truck/machine is an engine with a turbin that creates a vacuum? I honestly think it would work,but I would like to hear that it has been done by someone first off. My last resort will be to add a 50ft. or longer hose to the discharge on the leaf loader and see what it can do.

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

You could rent a bark blower we do for large jobs. It cost $320.00 a day.

7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch blowers are big money to purchase.

Could a leaf loader be used to load wheelbarrows? Would it be easier or quicker than manuevering it off a dump? Maybe rig up a trailer to carry 10yds of mulch, and use the loader to transfer it onto wheelbarrows.

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I know a fellow near Hamilton OH some years ago that converted a 16 hp. Billy Goat leaf loader into a mulch blower.

It was destroyed within a month. And it was never warrantied because it was obvious that it was abused.

What happened was that the constant 'blast' and the friction of the mulch against the huge 'flywheel' inside the heart of the unit tore away at the fins, and broke them off.
    It became painfully obvious to that landscaper that those flywheels were meant to handle primarily AIR with a little bit of solid content with it, but not the other way around.

9. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping LawnSite Member

Not really. A mulch blower works by feeding a measured amount of mulch into a rotary air lock. It' s a drum that is constantly turning at a preset rate. As the airlock rotates and lines the mulch up with the discharge tube / hose, a compressor injects air at approx. 12 psi to move the mulch through the tube.

10. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

Would it not be easier and more efficient for you to bid the job with the intention of having a truck come in and blow the mulch for you, here I buy in bulk for $22.00 per yard or I can have the truck blow it in for $44.00 per yard on large jobs and I don't even have to be there so I can get another job done while having the mulch blown.