spreader fert/lime on 6 acres

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JML, Feb 19, 2002.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that wants me to fertilize and lime his property. He lives on 6 acres of open land, all irrigated. My crews nor myself feels like pushing a spreader over 6 acres, so is there sometype of attatchment or a pull behind broadcast spreader, I could purchase, if so where at? thanks

yes i am state licensed..
  2. JML

so no one has any input on what i should do..
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

JML --- I'm with you on this one. I just ordered an M-21 Earthway 12 volt spreader that will get attached to the front of my Dixie Chopper. Several of the fellows on this forum have 12 volt rigs like this. Look around for price and availability, and then check with Bob at Alamia.com. They have the best price on this one, about $249.00 with free shipping.
  4. JML

how far of a spread is there on something like that..
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I use the lesco 12v and with standard prill I guess it is about a 16 ft throw from far right to far left. I am on my third one I have wore two out. I use it on big and small yards they work good and are well worth the money. Be sure to get one with the ability to block off one side so you can spread fert with out getting it where you don't want it. Like weed and feed in shrub beds etc.
  6. DonWilliams39

DonWilliams39 LawnSite Member

Yes you can haul a unit behind your tractor or there are gas powered buggies made just for spreading fert/lime. I can't remember there name but it is in the last turfmanagement mag.:blob1:
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

12v spreader are mounted on the front of ZTR mowers. They should be mounted so they pop on and off very easy. If you already own a ZTR then a 12v spreader is a very affordable way to spread fert as well as very effective. So my question to you is why??? Why spend money on a gas powered ride on or walk behind spreader. I am in the fert and squirt business and treat many lawns that I don't cut. I can get more production and feel better at the end of the day with a ZTR and 12V spreader than any other type of set up. If you don't own a ZTR then your not a real pro Walk behinds are ZTR several members of Lawn Fourm have 12v spreader on them.