Spreader for fescue

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Tn Lawn Man, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Could someone recommend a good broadcast spreader for tall fescue?

I have used a few different ones but they either do not broadcast very far or the holes are so small that the seeds get clogged and do not drop on the broadcaster at a good rate.

Other seeds like bluegrass drop fine because they are so small. And, fertilizer drops fine because of the weight. But, fescue is so big that it does not.

And, the only spreader that I found that drops well has a very small hopper and does not broadcast very far.

2. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The lesco stainless with a plastic hopper is the best made!!!350.00 but last forever!!
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly a DROP spreader works best for seeding. If you can hunt down one that's 3 feet wide or more that's the way to go. It's very accurite and there's no seed getting thrown into places you don't want seed! I have an OLD scotts 3' drop (need to measure it, not sure that it's not a bit over 3').

If you are doing a lot of seeding, or plan on doing this for many years, invest in a Lesco or Gandy drop spreader for seeding. They are also great for Lime apps.
  4. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

this is the best seeder available, and its affordable. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. It takes longer to fill it than to spread the seed. It should hold about 12 lbs. of seed and I can easily spread seed on 3000 sq ft in less than 2 minutes. Wind can even be used to your advantage.

drop spreaders are trash