spreader for walkbehind mower

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by touchofpride, Jan 23, 2007.

1. touchofpride

touchofpride LawnSite Member
    from NE

anybody seen these for walk behind mowers, spreader that mounts out front? I'm thinking of making my own, just make a bar that mounts on the front of the mower and mount on electric spreader basically. ideas.
  2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

never heard of one for a walk behind. If you do find one, throw on the jungle wheels and ride.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think JRCO makes one. Needs 12 volts to run the spinner.
  4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't heard a lot of positives about the JRCO, but Lesco and Earthway both make 'em. Same as above, need 12 volt source. I've seen it done, just can't remember where there's a picture. Do a search? There may even be some on here somewhere.
  5. LindblomRJ

If you have a sulkey you can fabricate a hitch and use a tow behind spreader:laugh:
  6. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco makes an electric spreader called the truckster. I mounted it to my Wright Stander and it worked great. I don't use mine any more because I purchased a Perma-Green.
  7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

How are you going to power the motor? You need a battery. Then you need a way to charge the battery. It sounds like a good idea for you but what are you going to do when you half way through a property and you have no juice to spin the spinner.
  8. LindblomRJ

You could use a battery charger and a marine battery. - Ones for trolling motors.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you are thinking, because I've checked that out, too...
    I've seen them, even ones that are better (for a Z), and I can not recommend it...
    No doubt it's easier on the body.

But after watching what the chemicals have done to my push spreader in the past 5 years, I wouldn't want some thing spraying stuff all around my nice grass-cutting machine. And I don't care if it's got skirts or shields...

That pebbly stuff comes out like a sand-blaster and it eats steel, plastic, rubber, you name it, all but grass seed is usually highly corrosive.
    If nothing else, just the dust from something like lime would eat those open-end bearings alive.
    You won't see the effects the first or second time, but give it a year (or 2), I can almost guarantee it will cut your Wb's lifespan in half.
    I don't want nothing spraying chems near my mower.

Sux, but I will push that stupid spreader myself.