Spreader hits a pothole.........

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Mar 9, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Was putting down some Andersons Tee Time premie on a cool season grass yard yesterday and my broadcast spreader hit a hole in the yard and dumped about 40 pounds of fertilizer onto the yard. This has happened to me a few times before, and no matter what I do to clean up the fertilizer, there always seems to be a big brown spot in the yard about a week later and stays there for about 4 months. I've tried raking the fert. up and they attack the area in question with my backpack blower. I've tried cleaning the fert. up and then water the area to help dissolve the fert. Nothing seems to work. Any tips ?

LAWNS AND MOWER

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all get a shower cap. Its a cover that is streatched over hopper and keeps contents in hopper during dump over. Probably need to get quality spreader like Lesco, Spiker or Earthway to get showercap. Oh the will also help in pop up shower situation. The only thing that might clean up fert. dump would be a shop vac. Blowing the remains will only make the spot bigger. Prevention is the key. We even make sure we are on concrete ot road when we fill hopper except with ZTR speader.

A good investment.
    Mark