Spreader options

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Nov 28, 2005.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

What kind of spreaders are being used with Zero turn Mowers? Does anyone use the JRCO? are there any other options?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco makes (or made) the "Truckster spreader" that can be mounted on about anything. I heard that they were discontinuing them though since they have the ride on spreader. I bet they don't stop selling them, or if they do it won't be for long, big demand for those spreaders. The recently stopped making the hydro drive spreaders and within a few months were selling them again...

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Bumping this back to the top..........any one else?

4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have to JRCO spreaders. Work great but keep up the cables etc..or you will have problems.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, personally I think I'd prefer the K.I.S.S. principal on this one.

Problem is that I really haven't found a K.I.S.S. spreader yet.

Now, the really logical choice seems to be the front mount electric spreaders for ZTR's.
    However, from what I recall, my cost was going to be 'out in left field'....
    But it turned out that my real concern with them is that they are not mechanically driven.
    By that I mean they are not ground engaging.
    Seems to me it would be very hard to meter coverage anywhere near well.
    Not that I'm way anal about this.
    I know some of the spreaders I've used were not so precise.
    But I've always managed very good results.

It's just that these seem to me would force you to your manual 'best guess'...

At the same time though, for the last 3 seasons, a lot of the apps have became a 'big-to-do' ordeal because I don't have a K.I.S.S. setup. This has gotten VERY OLD to me. This is because I can't do apps on the go at will without dealing with careful planning and an all day burden.

I use a pull-behind spreader with mechanical controls. So it has to be towed with a lawn tractor because you can't reach the controls while towing with a Z... and it would be too complicated if you could. So... if I want or need to squeeze in an app while enroute, I gotta load out for it and deal with it all day. Gets old.

I came very-very close to switching to a push spreader that I could so easily oad out and use at will. But some of my properties are so large and have such rough terrain... I don't know...