Spreader overlap

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lars, Sep 26, 2003.

1. lars

lars LawnSite Member

I'm just wondering what does everybody do for you fertilizer overlap. I prefer to go two directions at a 50% overlap (end of swath lines up w/ middle of spreader), but usually do just a 50% to save time. Of course I calibrate for half/quarter as much depending on how many directions. Anybody go no overlap or overalp more?

2. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

no overlap, i think that it is a waste of extra walking and time.

3. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I throw back to the wheel marks from the previous pass.

4. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I'm just curious, why do you think that it is better to throw back to the wheel marks? How do you overlap near a building or street/driveway? Are you going half rate in those areas or what? I don't understand why people do this, it is twice the amount of walking.

5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, that's just how I was taught to do it. When I was at Purdue we did a test to check the pattern of the spreader. Since the amount of product applied decreases toward the edges, overlapping back to the near wheel provides even coverage. Just set the spreader to provide an even distribution on each side and then calibrate the spreader for the product to be applied. Not sure this makes sense. I wish I could draw a diagram showing the pattern and how the overlap works. I'm always open to any other suggestions.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with kppurn. One other thing to consider is that if you are throwing Fe and your not overlapping, you may get some interesting patterns. Long ago and far away, I personally know a guy who striped a customers lawn. Big lawn too. Cost the guy some money to fix and also cost some reputation.

7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

1st pass is around the outside perimeter of the property with the deflector down and the 3rd hole shut off. 2nd pass is around the inside perimeter with deflector down and 3rd hole shut off. Then open the 3rd hole, raise the deflector and throw wheel track to wheel track. The first 2 passes allow you to get full rate which is 1/3 pattern without getting fert on neighbors property, in beds or on driveways. Get out your empty egg cartons and check your distribution pattern. I did the Purdue pattern test too. there are some real smart guys up there.

8. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

that sure seems like alot of extra time to me, i get out of the truck, fill the spreader an start going. The only time i ever close the hole and put the deflecter down is in small areas near driveways and sidewalks. I guess it is just how you were tought in the first place.