Spreader question

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by groundpounder17, Mar 24, 2013.

1. groundpounder17

groundpounder17 LawnSite Member

I'm new to the forum and have been reading for the past week but have been unable to find a good answer to my questions. I'm looking to purchase a good spreader in the range of 80-120 lbs. I really like the spyker models but wonder how much of an advantage the stainless steel hopper units offer over the poly hopper units. I'm specifically looking at models s60-8020, s60-9020, and s60-12020.

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. groundpounder17

Wow, what a great community here. Not one single comment. No advice. No one has even told me whether or not to post in a different forum.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

SS cost more vs Poly Poly lighter vs SS

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the Lesco 80 lb hopper spreaders. We do because replacement parts are readily available . Whatever you purchase make sure you can service it and have parts availability.
    Hope this helps in your decision making.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. groundpounder17

Thanks so very much for the info

6. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Groundpounder, we have lesco spreaders and a spyker on our lt rich, the lesco ones are nice but we do have some trouble with the 3rd hole plugging sometimes, but over all great spreader. Our spyker we like it alot, if we were to buy another one it would be spyker brand (one big opening for the fert, it never plugs).
    As for as stainless over poly, I dont think there is a difference as far as function and I doubt on would wear out faster than the other... Like other have posted choose what ever you can get parts for easily.

7. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

Give me a call and I can get your pricing on Spyker as well as Earthway.

Thanks,
    Blake
    Landscaper Pro

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

LESCO sucks. Earthway sucks just as bad. The only "commercial grade" spreader worth a sh$t would be the Spyker 80 pounder/SS. My 2 cents.

9. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

LOL...... Very informative.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Its a bit of a drive, but I have a nice Scotts (Anderson's) 80 pound professional model for sale, stainless steel, fiberglass hopper. I want about 25 percent of new price

I don't recommend the stainless steel hopper--too heavy. You want a spreader that weighs 43 pounds or less.