Spreader settings/ Measuring lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firecapt13, Feb 21, 2006.

1. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

New to the fertilization of lawn care went today to Lesco and bought a spreader and pre em to put out in my own yard. My question is how do you figure square foot of lawn and how do you set spreader settings. i want to learn this right before i go to customers lawns

2. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If you had a sqaure you would measure the 2 sides that make a right angle and mutltiply them together for example if you had a sqaure and all the sides measured 4 feet, your sqaure footage would be 16. If it was 18 and 10 your square footage would be 180

Check this out: http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/bgbb/7/ecep/math/n/n.htm

As far as you settings go read the label on EVERY bad of granular app that you put down and it will tell you what to set it at.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

length x width, your spreader settings should be on the bag if you bought lesco fert.

4. PGA

thats what I was trying to say but instead I wrote a paragraph :hammerhead:

5. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

the lesco fert had coverage rate but not spreader setting on it.

so if i measure my yard and it measures 25' x 55' that is 1375 sq feet. so if coverage rate is 4 lbs per 1000 i need a little over 4 lbs.

is my figuring correct on the math. if so how do you equate this to setting on spreader

6. PGA

It should have the spreader setting on it. What kind of fert did you get? Numbers? Ill look it up for you.

7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

for lesco fert and spreaders:

These numbers are starting points, you might walk faster or slower than 3 mph, and your spreader has to be calibrated with the green calibration keys for this to be accurate.

3 lbs/1000: set to #13 - #14

4 lbs/1000: set to #15

5 lbs/1000: set to #16

5.5 lbs/1000: set to #17

6.7 lbs/1000: set to #19

These are for standard prill ferts.

Most types of Pre-M (pendi...) from lesco go out at 3.5 - 4 lbs/1000. (for 2 apps)

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

not to start anything here... but i'm suprised that you haven't been slammed to the ground yet by others... you don't know how to figure the sq ft of an area??? good thing your starting on your own lawn first!

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Well Capt I hate to be the one to do it, but since I am in NC too remember if you don't and it sounds like you don't, you must have a NC issued Pesticide Applicators License to apply chemicals to those customers lawns.

10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes:
    It took 8 posts..... must be a Lawnsite record!

Capt, not to bash you, but your questions illustrate exactly the reasons why the states require applicators to be licensed.

Study, take the test, and get your license. Good luck to you.