Spreader settings

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stringblade, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

I have a scotts spreader that's what Ive been using. cant justify buying the lesco for 380 yet. Anyhow I bought a bag of straight grub killer from lesco. I asked the man at lesco What setting to set on my spreader? He recommended I buy the calibration measuring tool, that lesco provides to be sure of proper calibration. So I did he also said that even though I'm using a scotts spreader that I should follow the bag recommendations as if I had a lesco spreader and set the for the same number. I just want to check with someone else before I just take his advice. Just sounds wrong considering they are two different style spreaders. your help will be apprechiated on this

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

That should work if you got the green gauge you put in the spreader holes and set the spreader with the gauge they will be open the same size as a lesco spreader would be.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

...Provided the Scotts spreader is the 3 hole design and the holes themselves are the same size.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

got to www.lesco.com and click on the "Solutions center" tab. There is a spreader settings function there. Type in the 6 digit Lesco product number

5. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

Runner that is exactly what ive been thinking.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The best bet would be, would be to measure out couple of areas at 1000 sq ft.. CAREFULLY weigh some product and put it in the spreader. At the end of the first thousand, empty the remainder and weigh it so you know how much you used. Dial it in from there. It may take a few additional 100 ft. partitions to get it down accurate. For instance, if a 50# bag covers 10,000 sq ft., then it would be 1# per every 200 ft. ...5# per 1000. What type of "straight grub killer" do you have? If I knew what it was, I could tell you how much goes down per 1000 (for grubs). Is it Dylox?