Spreader Settings

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by born2farm, Jul 31, 2008.

1. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Scotts AP2000 spreader and would like to know what setting vs. pound per acre or however you go about setting/callibrating them. me and my boss are going to be new to fert next year and i already had the spreader so were going to try and use it untill we get some buisness built up

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

That spreader is going to last about 20 lawns, and is going to lose calibration quickly. If you can't afford $350 for a decent spreader, you are not serious about being in business.

That being said, mark off 1000 sq ft in your own yard, weigh the amount that you want to put down for that 1000 sq ft, for example, 5 pounds. Spread it over the area.

You will then repeat this over dofferent areas in your lawn until you get it right, should have it by the second or third try. With that spreader I would do this about every 5 lawns.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You have to do it for yourself. Weigh out 10 pounds. (Get your dealer to help with scales if needed.) Apply on a measured 1000 sqft. Weigh again. Adjust up or down until you are applying the desired amont per 1000 feet. Repeat until consistent within 10 percent.

4. born2farm

well i was just going to attempt to use this spreader but if it is not going to be consistent at all we will probably buy a better spreader. we havnt got into the buiness yet. he is taking his test in the spring and i will take mine as soon as i can.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

It doesn't matter what "quality of spreader" you use...you will still have to calibrate it for every product you use.

I am sure the one you have will be fine (if it is a commercial spreader).

Not only is this a MUST to make sure you don't over or under apply, but also with the cost of product these days, you want to be on the MONEY!

6. born2farm

ya i know i will need to set any spreader. i was under the impression that my spreader was a commercial spreader but maybe im wrong.

guess ill just use my spreader for salt.

7. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

scott or anderson product ap 2000 are good professional spreaders someone must be thinking about the little home owner toys you can by at a yard sale .

8. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Most supplier dont want to fidle around with ordering calbration key and complete instruction on a older spreader they want sell you a new .a couple years ago a guy post a number to a outfit where you can get parts, such as instructions and calibration key .614 559 2705 .good luck ,Ihave no Idea who will answer the phone or where they are located . model numder is on the slide bar rate adjuster .

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Opps,

I was thinking of the Scotts Speedy 2000 sold at lowes for around $30, cheap POS.

10. born2farm

ya i thought this was a commercial spreader. i only paid 50 or 60 bux for it at an auction:weightlifter:

so to calibrate it to say 4lb/1000sq ft, i mark off 1000sq ft and fill the spreader with 4lb of material. by the time im done with the 1000sq ft i should be out of material. if i have some left open the holes a little bit if i run out close them a tad.