Spreader/Sprayer or Spreader and Bed Mount?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Blink74, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

This season I've added a handfull of Multi acker lawns (50-135K) to my 50residential lawns (4-12K). I've been using a bed mounted 200g sprayer for broadleaf applications on all lawns once or twice a year and carry a backpack sprayer for spot apps in between.

For granualar I push all of the smaller lawns and use jrco spreader atachment mouted to a mower for the large lawns. Problem is: I don't like the jrco. It takes a mower out of the field for a few days, is inaccurate, makes a mess (no side deflector) and the fert is rusting my mower. Using the pusher and then the backpack on all of my smaller lawns is getting old. Also, I don't have a dedicated truck for the bed mount so It's a pain taking it in and out and I don't use it as often as I should.

I'm considering buying either the lesco HP motorized spreader or a Permagreen. I don't have to spray the large accounts more than once a year and some don't get sprayed at all. So I'm leaning toward the HP in addition my current set up. However, If the Permagreen will replace my bed mount and can be used on everything I will buy it.

What do ya'll think? Thanx in advance for your input.

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would definitly go with the PG.

I think the PG it is a lot less money then the HP, and it will also be a lot more versatile.

You will never push another spreader or pull a hose once you get this ride!

I am running my PG over 550 acres/year when I total up all my lawn apps. The properties range form less then 2K and up to 23 acres.

You can't go wrong for the money! You can make your fert and weed control at the same time. Takes me about 20 min/ac depending on the lawn.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Forgot to add...

I lost sleep over spending 6 grand on a ride on unit, and now I am looking at adding a second unit.

Trust me...don't lose any sleep over it...just buy it and you won't look back.

Good Luck!

4. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

The HP is just a motorized 125lb spreader with no option to spray. However it is half the price of the PG.

So, with the PG you have no use for a bed mount any longer? Can you comfortably do a 4k lawn? Any issues with getting it through fences?

5. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

BTW, I use about 2 skids of fert each ap.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I'm sorry...I was thinking you were talking about the Z-two (which is a zero turn that sprays and spreads) instead of the HP.

For the amount you do (2 skids) maybe an HP would be ok...but you still have to dink with the tank in the back of the truck (which I still do anyway so I have a water tender).

Yes with the PG Magnum you wouldn't have to use your skid sprayer anymore. You spread and spray at the same time ONLY MAKING ONE PASS OVER EACH LAWN.

They are much more effecient on larger lawns (>10K) but still do a great job on smaller ones. I have one customer in town that has a lawn <2K and I use my PG on it. It takes me about 10 minutes to do their lawn and the funny thing is I can do an 43K in about 20 minutes. But still better then a hose and spreader!

The more effecient you are the more you can do. That is what brought me to getting the machine.

As long as the gates are 36" wide you can get through them. So far there hasn't been a gate I wasn't able to get through. I am sure there is one out there somewhere and if so, I guess I will have to break out the backpack and ol push spreader :cry:

GOOD LUCK!

7. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

I do think the HP would be a better choice for now. However, I plan to grow and don't want to wish I bought the PG in the future.

What is a water tender? A big tank that fits into the back of the truck? I think I've seen them at TSC? How much are they?

So do you still use a bed mount at all?

Thanx for your help.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you have any intentions on growing I would spend the extra...but it is easy for me to spend your money.

Water Tender is just a generic term for a refill unit.

I have two 50 gallon tanks set up in the back of my truck with and electric pump so I can refill my PG. I can do 10 acres without having to refill my truck.

I use a PG, and only a PG. No pulling hose or pushing a spreader for me! After you ride you don't ever want to walk again.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

rcrech gave you very good advise -- he's one of the best on this site. Since you have many large lawns, I say get a PermaGreen ride-on. We sub out close to 200 lawns for mowing, and this "mowing guy" also has "his own accounts" -- mostly commercial. He recently bought a 2007 PermaGreen Magnum, and he loves it. Good luck, american :usflag:

10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would go with the PG too! I have a couple Magnum's and love them. you will want to have a small hand held spreader for the small areas you cant get to and I also carry a chest spreader for the few gates I cant fit thru and the lawns that are so small I don't want to get the PG off the truck for (1-2k)
    if you go with the HP and decide you want to add a spray system you will have almost as much $ as the PG and an inferior sprayer. plus I still don't like the fact that the HP is not all stainless steel.