Spreader-sticker or wetting agent/vs/anti-foam

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Dec 26, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I use wetting agents for weed control (spreader stickers to some of you). Fine--but--sometimes i get foaming problems so i can't fill up my Permagreen tank. I add antifoam agent. But does the antifoam counteract the effects of the wetting agent?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I always fill the tank about 1/2 way first, then add my ingredients. It seems to help w/ the foaming problem you described. The downside is that I have to let it circulate longer to ensure everything is mixed properly.

3. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Anti foam just breaks the surface tension and has no effect on the chemical properties of the sticker. It is like taking your finger rubbing it on the side of your nose and swirling it in your beer to get rid of the head, because so jackass pumped the keg to much....LOL

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle

Wetting agents and Spreader Stickers are two different types of surfactants. For foliar weed applications use Spreader Sticker and get no Foam. For Root active Herbicides use a wetting agent. However a PG doesn't apply enough water to get to the roots IMHO.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, a PG would have trouble with getting any app. deep because of the ultra low volume. I use a product called No Foam, Lesco also has an anti-foaming agent I like. I have tested both products, curious about your same question, neither seems to have any effect on the spreading action of my solution. The spreader still seems to make the solution "slippery" which is what I want for good coverage of tough "fury" and waxy weeds.

To combat deeply rooted weeds using a low volume application, you may want to consider using a higher ratio of dicamba (dimethylamine salt of). I know it is old school, and you'll have to be careful not to over apply it around ornamentals with shallow roots under the lawn, but it is very effective at getting root systems in low volume apps.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Both products are non-ionic meaning there is no chemical interaction with the pesticide applied.
    Surfactants, like a wetting agent, usually reduces the surface tension qualities of water thereby allowing for greater infiltration in clay and loam based soils.
    The defoaming agent simply acts in a slightly different manner, are made out of amines or fatty acids and shouldn't be used with ester based herbicides as a potential for increased non-target effects may be noticed, especially in non-irrigated areas.