Spreaders Questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Travis E, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm planning on jumping into fertilizing/pesticides next year and the spreader i have now just doesn't work well for larger lawns because it doesnt' throw it out evenly. I was looking at Earthway ones that i would be able to mount on the front of my mower. Does anyone use one or have one similar.

I was looking at this one http://www.earthway-outlet.com/m21.htm ...but possibly this one http://www.earthway-outlet.com/m40.htm because it switch control.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

my thoughts are why push when you can ride. there are pros and cons to both means of apps. jdl sells on for around 500.00 hard to get right now. mount it securely and watch out for the bumps

3. Travis E

do you have a link to the jd ones?

4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

5. Travis E

BUMP, realy looking into the EarthWay M40. Anyone know anything about them if they are good quality or what not?

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

It rules. Also fits nicely on riding mowers.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

have you not looked at the jrco spreaders. they have been good to us and we have three of them. I recommend the stainless top end version.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Jrco is good, but Spyker is much better. (in our opinion) Our Jrco sits in the corner, as we really enjoy Spyker over any others.

9. Travis E

ya i checked those out on the internet last night, but i don't want to spent over a thousand dollars on one which is what they run i believe.

10. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

We did a lot of research and testing on spreaders and the Spyker came out number one. You are able to adjust the left to right application rates to get them just equal and even. Plus the 288 (one we selected has a stainless lower unit and cleans up nice) Now with that said some of our guys are getting an ever better spread with the 288 using a Lesco spinner. Spyker has two curved risers and two straight while the Lesco has 4 straigt ones. Product seems to come off the lesco spinner better.
    turfcobob