Spreaders, What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grnbld, Mar 26, 2006.

1. grnbld

grnbld LawnSite Member

Once again new to fert. Is there a real difference between spreaders? Lesco spreaders are around $350 to $400 depending on attachments. I found one at Tractor supply that looked to be as durable and made just as well for $165.

Is this a thing where your paying for the name or is there really a difference? If it it just longevity of the equipment for a few extra $$$ I can buy 3 of the Tractor Supply spreaders.

Reading alot of these post gives me mixed feeling about Lesco products in general. Some goog some bad.

Any opinions or experiences you care to share.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i buy only lesco spreaders because they hold up to everyday use
    i have tried the rest and they dont hold up for me and they work i do
    it is also eaiser to get a starting point for the material i spread because lesco has a setting on the bags so calibration is much eaiser
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

If your in this for the long haul buy a Lesco, Scott's R-8 or Spyker. If ya can't afford one don't buy any.
  4. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with one from TSC FOR 130.00 2 YEARS ago. not an even spread pattern . I bought a spyker last year with adjustable spread pattern. The more wieght I had in it the less it spread . Excellent for seed though. I bought a LESCO THIS YEAR, WOW LOVE IT . good spread pattern. and is consistent no matter how much weight is in it. The agitation system is the key. Super solid unit too.
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I only buy lesco spreaders. I have tried earthway and spyker and in my opinion lecso is th best. I have used lesco for over 20 yrs. they last 4 ever if you get the SS frame. I had 2 lesco spreaders that I had used for over 10 yrs and sold them on ebay last year for over $175 each! so they probably only cost $20 per year! if you buy a cheap spreader it will be junk by the end of the 1st season!
  6. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco Is the only spreader worth using. Have tried the others in the Past its the only One I found I liked
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Shindaiwa RS76S. I really like it so far. It's all stainless so it should last! I've used a Lesco and it seems harder to push. I do a lot of hills so that really mattered to me.
  8. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

The lesco spreader is the company's bread and butter.
    After about a month and half I will open the enclosed gear case and add some more grease. Seems to be smoother and easier to push. Not sure if it helps or its just the mental aspect of it
  9. TMarch

TMarch LawnSite Member

I would rate a lesco in the middle. When spreading greens grade on greens I always had trouble with an even pattern and the agitater broke after a couple dozen apps. Once had a Lesco rep. tell me not to use it for certain products on greens although I do use it for residential so I would'nt totally knock it. In my opinion Andersons is the best which is a lot like the old scotts R8A. Costs a bit more but worth it. A top of the line spyker is also a good choice.