Spreaders

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lakesidecutter, Mar 29, 2008.

1. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

I have been involved in the lawn or turf industry for the last couple of years however have no experience with picking a spreader. They seem to range in price considerably. Of course I have looked at the Lesco and Commercial Scotts but how much better are they than the others. $400-$500 seems very high considering you can buy many different type of large cap. spreader much cheaper. Is the pattern that it throws that much better? I am sure it is one of those things that you get what you pay for but I am not sure what I am getting. I only service 20 or so yards so this price is high. Any help will be great.

2. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Which ever model you buy get stainless, it's really worth the extra money.

3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I was just at the seed store yesterday and they had several models of the red earthway spreaders. Entry level commercial/homeowners model was like $70, the actual first commercial model was $120, then add about 50 bucks each for a few more models. I see alot of guys around here using these spreaders and they are built beefy. Im in the same boat as you. I only fert a few yards and do mostly seeding/fert in the fall and dont really want to go drop a couple hundred on a spreader.

4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 ss lesco spreaders and they are hard to beat. Alot of guys like the spyker
    speaders but i have'nt tied them. You may want to check but i think lesco has speaders on sale now.

5. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Just bought this for $280 at, gee, Lesco.

[​IMG]

6. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Thats you lakeside dont pass up that deal

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

To each their own, but if your lawns aren't too big, a Spyker Chest Spreader is my weapon of choice. They're waaaaay more maneuverable, no mess on concrete if you know what you're doing, easily rebuildable for cheap, and only cost like $130 to start with.

8. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

sure since it holds like 25 lbs (<then 1/3 of lesco) and I would like to have chemicals right under my nose...

To each their own :)

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

LOL. Yes, for small properties, definitely. As for chemicals... dude, it's fertilizer. Glorified salt. :)

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

Again, not for everyone, but I think I hold a world record thanks to my Spyker. Last fall I winterized 90 lawns in one day (myself) with that baby.