spreading 100 yards

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by greenback, Jul 27, 2005.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

i already got the job but how much would you charge for spreading 100 yards of wood chips in a 40x65 area (9 inches thk). Also i am putting down railroad ties around that same area.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

How much does it cost you per yard?
    How are you getting it there?
    How many trips will you have to make?
    How easy is it to access the area in which you are spreading it?

Fill in the blanks....then I can give you a price.

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

it depends how far you have to travel, this would only be tractor work correct, or skid steer. if then probably could handle that in 1 solid day, tractor/skid loader with experienced operator, 1300.00

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

My cost is for labor only.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

`Has anyone ever tried spreading stuff like this with a leaf loader? I have a 11 hp Hiway and a 25 hp Highway loader and want to try it out. I'm not real worried about wearing out the impeller they are cheap enough to replace if it does a good job. We don't do a lot of mulching but would consider doing more if we could find an easy way to spread it instead of handwork.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

with out having to edge a bedline look to spend on average about 1 hour per yard of mulch. less if you can use a loader, more if you have hump it long distances. but you have to rememebr to charge rental for the loader and generally operators cost more per man hour than to laborers as it is skilled work.

Don't forget any time spent in the truck hauling(if needed) from the place of purchase to the place of final use.....

7. greenback

from L.I.

i am just spreading the mulch it is already there, i am using a bobcat. i quoted 550. no other info needed.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

so if we take 100yds of mulch and divide it into the quoted price of $550, Onaverage it will take one man hour per yard to spread. that means you are Grossing $5.50 on average per hour....I think labor prices on this board generally are in the $30+ range. Which means that to spread 100 yds of mulch, Not counting for any product or any rental, which is already present you should be in the $3000 range. Once you get equipment into the mix you will become more efficent rather an just humping wheel barrows

Now the skid loader will save you some time and the skid loader should enable you to move and spread 5 yards per man hour hour(depending on how close the pile is to the location which means now you are looking at Skid Loader rental $200 a day(your cost), and 20 hours of labor 10 is skilled (40 per hour) as an equipment operator and 10 would be as basic labor(30 per hour).

2 days rental on skid loader 400 marked up 30% is $520
    Skilled labor for two days is 40 per hour x16 hours 640
    unskilled labor for two days 30 per hourx16 hours 480

Total billshould be around 1640... the reason I went form 10 hours to 16 is that you will have to pickup/drop off loader, or at least pay for delivery, and you might have to do some repair work to the soil/turf inwich you are traversing. as well as travel time to and from the job.. Yes i did mark up the rental fee. Like any other product or service it needs to be marked up. I generally would mark up 60% over my cost on materials, and rentals get 30% markup.

This would be one of the jobs that I would do on a time and materials ticket or a "not to exceed" ticket just for the simple fact that you don't really have any idea how long is going to take to so this job. And if you are by yourself after about the 20th yard of mulch your gonna get tired..., at which point it might take your 40 hours to lay the mulch...550 for a weeks worth of work does not sound too appealing, especially in this heat...

9. greenback

from L.I.

yeah the heat does suck, but the pile is located in the spot it has to be spread. All i am doing is moving it 40 feet. the pile is on on end and i have to spread it out to the other. it will be just me with a bobcat, i think i could spread the whole pile in 6 or 7 hours, i can spread a yard by wheel barrow in an hour. your saying you can spread a yard in a bobcat in an hour. Also i called many landscapers and they quoted 400 to 500 to spread it. Also it is my mothers school who i am doingf the job for.

10. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Sounds like you are putting in playground surfacing for the school. Should not take you no more than 2 to 2-1/2 hours. I know experienced playground installers can spread 80 yards per hour if the material is dumped in the pit area.