Spreading fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by sglawn, Mar 2, 2004.

1. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

I am wondering what setting to put a scotts speedy green 3000 spreader on in order to spread a 40lb. bag of 21-8-12 fertilizer that is supposed to cover 8000 sq. ft. I am spreading it onto 8000
    sq. ft. if that will help anything.

Thanks, Zach

2. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

It all depends on the size of the opening and the size of the fertilizer pellets. Its call callibrating your speader. Every fert can be differrent.

If you are asking this question your obviously not a certified applicator. Check to make sure you can spread fert without a license. In my state you can. But all states are different. You must be licensed to apply pesticides. So make sure you fert is just fert and not a combination of fert and some sort of pesticide.

3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Just because he is asking doesn't mean he is unlicensed. This is a forum to ask questions relating to Pesiticide Application, which is what his question pertains to.

But to help you out. If you are using Scotts fert and a Scotts spreader than on the label it will tell you what setting to set your spreader on. Just look for it.

4. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

5. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I didn't mean to sound like a di**. I'm just saying check and make sure you don't need a license before you start spreading. I would hate to see you get fined for something your not suppose to be doing. Like I said here in WI you can apply fert without a license as long as you follow the label directions exactly. If you deviate from the manufactures directions in any way you need an applicator license. I know of some guys who apply weed and feed that are not licensed and they can't. Because weed control is a pesticide.

Like precisioncut said, if your useing scott's it will give the setting on the bag for your spreader. Other fert manufacturer may not list your specific spread. However the setting on your label can be affected buy your walking spead and amount of overlap. It is best to try a test spot and weigh the product you put into the spreader and then weigh what is left after you spread on the test spot. And make adjustment accordingly. Could be as simple as walking faster/slower or adjusting the spreader opening.

Your fert is 21-8-12. So you have 21% of the total weight is N. 21% of 40# is 8.4#'s. so for 8,000 sqf your application rate is 1 pound of N per 1,000 sqf. so you need to calibrate your spreader to apply that much. Now if you change product the next time you spread you need to recalibrate for that product.

6. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

Thanks sodzilla,
    I didn't take your comment as being a d***. I understand what you were saying. But I don't have to have a license here for fertilizer. I do appreciate the information you gave, it did help me.

Thanks, Zach