Spreading Grass Seed...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by NoobCat, May 4, 2006.

1. NoobCat

NoobCat LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hi. I hope you all don’t mind that I am asking this home lawn care question here but I’m a bit anal and unsure of my next step. I just spread this elite grass seed mix over our half acre (with a spreader set on medium). I have half the seed left! Should I be doing a second application before the fertilizer? On this first pass I only left a couple inches between the tracks from one pass to the next.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How much seed you apply is based on the type(s) of grass seed you are putting down. It goes by pounds per 1000 square feet. Blue grass is typically 2-3lbs per 1000', rye grass 5-6lbs, etc. This is based on bare dirt seeding, not if there is established lawn and you are just addin/filling in the bare spots. If there is 59% cover already, cut these rates down to about 1/2 to 2/3.
    For example, if you were seeding 1/2 of an acre (20,000 sq. feet) with perennial rye grass over bare dirt, you would need about 100lbs of seed total. Got it?
    Seeding rates should be on the bag itself.

3. NoobCat

NoobCat LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Ok, I just checked it out. I suppose I should have known this. I am off a wee bit but should be ok to put down the rest of it. Thanks for the help. Now its time for the fert :)

4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I would hang onto the seed till fall and aerate and overseed then.

5. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I agree with Chimmygew. Leave the rest until fall because you WILL need it. Its very hard to establish a lawn this time of year, germination rates won't be as good in the Spring. Look at some of the other posts many,many others have posted on this subject. These posts will get into detail of the why's/why not's.

6. NoobCat

NoobCat LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks guys. I'l go read up.

7. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I have to concur with the two above posts. Rake out the yard really good in the fall, aerate, spread your seed and get some fert on it. Don't forget to check and see if you might need some lime also. Try and do this as close to upcoming rain as possible. It'll make a HUGE difference in the outcome.

This exact process has improved my lawn 1000x over what was here wen I bought the house!

8. jmb18

jmb18 LawnSite Member

What is the best way to make sure the seed makes contact with the soil when applying to existing lawn?