Spreading in the heat...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Jul 26, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Anyone have a limit that they don't spread above? It has been in the mid to upper 90s here and those temps make me nervous...

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i hear ya' man!
    i still spread in the heat, but i do most all commercial accounts so i can start about 530am and quit by 2-230.. the problem i have is spraying trees interfeers with the spreading time since i need to get them done before it hits 80-85.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I am still doing all my apps.

I worry more about Hi temps with humidity. I look at the combined total and I get nervous when they go about 150-160.

4. I spread in the heat. No problems unless the lawn is stressed, then I evaluate the lawn before making a treatment.

I did switch to a 24-0-10 50% SCU product though, I think it's more forgiving if the homeowner stops or cuts back on watering.

5. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

With those temps. you will lose a lot of your nitrogen by volitization into the atmosphere plus you run the risk of tip burn if the lawns aren't watered right away. Some studies I've read say losses are as much as 40% within 72 hours. Coated urea is safe from this but straight urea, am. sulfate and am. nitrate are not. Treating weeds at temps over 85 degrees could result in poor control. Neal

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the above. I am using 21-3-21 75% scu and most of my lawns are irrigated so that helps.

7. The only thing I disagree with is the "could" part. I would have used the phrase "almost always".

Most of my lawns are irrigated, but from time to time a community will impose a watering restriction or even a watering ban if things get to dry.