spreading lime

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLBumpus, Feb 19, 2001.

1. TLBumpus

TLBumpus LawnSite Member
    from W. Ky

How do you charge for spreading lime and what do you use .Any other info or tips welcome . Thanks

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use powered lime. I have a 36" pull and a 24" push drop spreader. I add .50 per bag mark up plus my hourly rate.I only push the areas that I can't go with my riding tractor and the pull spreader.

Gene

3. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

well whatever i spread it with. i always try to spread lime along with my fert. usually i fert. with a slow release 16-4-8, and a granular lime mix. that way you are killing two birds with one stone.

PS--i also like to spread a fire ant killer with the above.

PROFIT MAXIMIZE!

GOOD LUCK.

4. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I think you should lime and fertilize in two sperate apps. How could you know how much fertilizer you are sreading? Then charge for two seperate applications. I charge for a average size lawn around here(6 to 8 thousand sqft.) maybe $50 for fert. and $45 per lime app. I use Dolimitic Pellitized lime and a Lesco sreader.

5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use pelleted limestone. I usually charge about the same as i do for an app. of fert.This is an article from my local extention office. I too wouldnt apply them together.

Can I mix my lime and fertilizer together in the spreader?

Definitely not! Lime should be applied separately from fertilizers containing ammonia since they react together and subsequently release ammonia gas which is toxic to grass. Apply lime two weeks on either side of nitrogen application.

6. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

well maybe my english was a little confusing. i don't put them both out in the same spreader but do put them both out at the same visit to the customer's property.

sorry for the confusion. :)

7. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I had an interest in this question. So I posted to bring it up again :)

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

In the spring I use a 36" drop spreader and apply pulverized limestone.
    In the fall I use a broadcast spreader and apply granular limestone.
    This service is usually $10/m sf.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

9. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Pelletized lime is the fastest thing to quick release lime there is. There really is no such thing. Ph is one of the most difficult things to correct in soil. I spread both seperately so I can get an acurate measurment of each amount of product. Fert and Lime. If you are slick and have the market you can charge customers for ph testing also. I can't charge as much as I do for fertilizer but make more because lime is just so damn cheap.

10. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

if you want to do both applications at once try this. go to Lesco and ask to see their 7-3-1 fert. It is primarly a limestone carrier with a little nitrogen. Have them explain the numbers to you and you'll see that most of it is limestone.