spreading lirope

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawn dogg, Apr 13, 2008.

1. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

customer planted lirope several years ago now its spreading into the lawn what would be the best way to kill it without harming the turf grass.

2. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Tuff stuff, small amounts can be pulled by hand.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

You will not be able to kill it because it grow my multipling nodules. Dig out the excess and put down a barrier to keep the rhyizones from spreading. That plastic edging stuff works fairly well. We bury the whole piece just barely letting the top show. Lirope is good on troublesome banks and areas under trees. We like it but you're right as a border; it sucks.

4. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

That sounds good but what can be used on it to get rid of the grass and broadleaf weeds that keep growing up through it. customer is ok with keeping it if i can control it and keep grass and weeds from growing in it.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I know of nothing that will control grass in the lirope. Snapshot is for beds, but I don't take care of anything like that, just trees and bushes. Most lirope here is so thick that grass can't grow in it. The below ground stuff looks like a bulb or onion and as they mulltiply they grow tighter and tighter. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions.