Spreading penn mulch/seed starter

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mmacsek, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few jobs that will require spreading topsoil,grading,seeding and covering with Lesco seed starter. These are not 1/2 acre lots but a few K square foot. How do you spread the mulch? It will not pass thru my Lesco broadcast spreader and takes some time doing it by hand. About 75% of my business is lawn maintenace but getting more of these jobs every year. I have seen the Spyker mulch and more broadcast spreaders and the 36" wide drop spreaders that will handle the mulch but not sure if they work. Thanks Matt

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Earthway makes a spreader that will spread Penn Mulch....it is less than $100....

3. mmacsek

Do you have a model number? Thanks Matt

4. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

i think that seed starter III is actually a little bigger than pennmulch. there is a product called encap. it is extremely small dots, and works well since it will easily go thru the standard lesco spreader.

also if its a few thousand sq. ft. can't you spread it by hand with a scoop. Lesco's product covers 600 sq ft.

5. mmacsek

Is the trade name encap? I have been spreading it by hand but trying to speed things up. Thanks Matt

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

last I checked which was a couple yrs ago I heard they were not making encap or were going to quit making it. That was the trade name of it.

7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

we are still purchasing it at Sweeney Seed in Delaware.