Spreading Sand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Terra Bella, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Terra Bella

Terra Bella LawnSite Member

I am just curious to know what you guys charge for spreading sand. The majority of my clients want sand spreaded in the yard to build their turf. I buy sand for 22.00 a yard. What you would charge per yard. How do you guys spread the sand?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think you have to use a topdresser to spread sand. I don't know if you have a place to rent something like that, or possible are acquanted with a golfcourse superintendent that may let you use theirs... I know it won't go thru any kind of fertilizer spreader, and you would need quite a bit, I think about a 1/4 inch layer at a minimum to really do any good. Sorry, I really don't know a whole lot about it other than that, Iv'e worked on a golfcourse where we did the greens 2 times a year by pulling plugs, pushing the plugs off and scooping them up, then topdressing with the sand and sweeping it into the holes. long process and a lot of work! A few times thru the season we would lightly topdress just to cut some of the thatch and keep the greens from getting spongy. No idea if it would actually have any real affect on a home lawn or not...

3. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

try earth & turf, they have a new push-type topdresser. They have a pull unit and the new push unit. Not sure if their push is even on their website.
    They do have a little info on topdressing.
    the push unit is model 24D TruFlow
    the pull unit is model 200

4. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Why would you top dress with sand? Never heard of this up here in the Northeast, my sandy lawns are actually the ones that look the worst up here.....

5. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

This will work great thru the spreader, 25-50lb/1000SQFT

made with grass and leaves fully composted, no weed seeds.

Its expensive for large lots. but time savings for sure
    $30-45 canadian per 25KG (does 2000sqft)

IMG_0322resized.jpg

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Humm, composted grass and leaves to spread on your lawn at 20 bucks a 1,000. humm how bout using a mulch kit on your mower and getting that for FREE! Those crazy canadians...

7. HayBay

from Ontario

Mulch Kit.

Wow Jason, Your an Idi*t. Wheres DOrothy by the way, I saw toto run over in the ditch.

Now on a serious note.

If you look into topdressing you will quickly notice it is very expensive for a machine. Say $2000-3000 minimum.

Then you will have to get $25 worth of topsoil from your supplier and he will deliver it for $40.

Then you will need a good shovel or a bobcat/backhoe (which again is expensive) to load your Topdresser to spread.

10 minutes to spread 25KG bags of EZcompost is very cost effective.

8. HayBay

from Ontario

The soil samples we do here for customers indicate organic matter content. Ezcompost allows you to raise your Content when needed. Try that with a mulching kit.

The time saved with this product compared to getting a load of dirt in the back of the truck and a shovel. Plus having the Topdressing machine on a trailer is huge.