Spreading some mulch need advice!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ethan51, Sep 18, 2012.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I guy spreading ,one guy humping the wheelbarrow one shoveling into wheelbarrow. Just have a couple of them to fill so no one is standing around. Very easy job if you don't have to prep the beds to much.

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch can go fast if you have a good system. I've done 12 yds (110 3 cuft bags) in 5 hours by myself including helping the delivery guy unload, no bed prep.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

2 guys, 2 days, and that's with no prep work.

With prep you would be looking at 2.5-3.

Did a 33 yarder earlier this year. Me redefining edges, trimming branches on trees and shrubs, spraying RU, etc.... and two guys moving mulch one day.

Then me and one guy finishing up mulch the next day.

4. Ethan51

Ethan51 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I have the dump site about 60 feet away from where the spreading starts. So there wont be much moving of the mulch, but quite a lot of it none-the-less. I was planning on having one filling the wheelbarrows, and 2 dumping, then go back and spread it all when its all in the correct area.

5. Ethan51

Ethan51 LawnSite Member

I have already done the weeding and trimming of trees, and the tearing out of bushes, and things like that. So just as soon as that truck dumps, it will be go time

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

5000 sq ft should require just under 31 yards (30.86, so basically 31) at 2" spread. No need to have to haul away 5 extra yards if you don't need to. $2800 for the job labor and materials.

If you've never done one this big before, you may find it helpful to stab a bunch of small stakes into the ground leaving 2" exposed, or with a line on them at 2" that you leave above grade, then stick them into the bed them every 6-7' in any given direction so that you have some good go-by markers to spread to. Then pull them when you're done. That way you aren't putting too much mulch in any one area, and not enough in another area, and you shouldn't end up short or with too much at the end.

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Don't be dumping to much .You'll be surprised on how much you will move around the beds because you dumped to much. Start at point A and keep moving right along.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, agreed on that.

When doing mulch, I always tell my helper to dump two wheelbarrows and then spread, making sure not to dump too much in one spot. Rinse, and repeat.

That and beds usually have plants and shrubs. Even if you estimate X amount of mulch, sometimes you use a 1/3rd or more less than originally estimated. That's why I never have any mulch dumped on site unless the mini-skid is there to load the excess.

9. highclimber604

highclimber604 LawnSite Member

i didnt bother to read all the posts but i usually charge by the yard for mulch. Any where from $70-$85.00 per yard. That amount includes material, labor, delivery of any kind. We have our own dump trucks so no additional fees for delivery/fuel etc but its worked in there to cover my expenses. Those numbers usually sell the job and you can put some money in the bank. The variations in price depend on color, and access to the yard. It does not include though, bed prep, weeding, edging.

10. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with you i get between $75 and $100 a yrd here. Thats pretty much the going rate. Id bid the job at 2800 like the other guy said so you can put some in the bank and pay your help.