1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spreading Wood Chips????

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Chip Riz, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Chip Riz

Chip Riz LawnSite Member
    from florida

got a quick question, i have a small lawn business and one of my weekly customers asked me to mulch the backyard it is 25 yards of chips they bought it and had it delivered their is very little prep involved but i dont know how much to charge per yard. There isnt any obstacles or any thing all i have to do is move it via wheelbarrel from the front to back yard if any one could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks, chip
  2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

charge by the hour .and bring lots of water.if you don't make money on the materials don't bother with pr Yard bs.by the way if you're solo be prepared for a long day,or 2.good luck.
  3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

@$700 depending on how far you have to move them and if you have to go up a hill with the chips. How do you know there are 25 yds and not 30? Just something to think about. Three guys should be able to finish in a day.
  4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Your looking at a total of 25-30 man hours. if you hustle spread about 10-13 in a 10 hour day. two guys and two wheelbarrows could probably knock it out in 8 hours.
  5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

rent a compact tractor or skid steer and get it done in 1/2 day
  6. Chip Riz

Chip Riz LawnSite Member
    from florida

about how much an hr should i charge
  7. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

just think about what everyone else said. is it uphill? are they wet and heavy as hell? how far do they have to go, 50ft or 200ft? will you have help? if youre gonna pay the help (which surely to god you will) then you obviously gotta charge more. i charge $40 an hour for most things and i pay help $10 an hour so when i have help i charge $50 an hour.
  8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

BTW wood schips are MUCH harder to work with then mulch, and alot heavier.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Bunch of good advice here. And stick to your guns, don't lower your price, its alot of work for one man. These people are obviously cheap. They're trying to "save money" buy getting the mulch themselves but don't want to do the work to lay it. I'll bet the ranch that even if its laid 4" thick, there will still be a pile of extra mulch in the driveway because they ordered too much.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They never contacted you about installing the mulch before ordering it??? They didn't ask you for a price delivered and installed? If this is the case, they are just assuming you'll do it, and/or give them a great deal on installing it. I would charge no less than 30 per yard to install it. That's what it would've costed them to have anyone else do it (this is based on a 60 per yd. total price for a quality mulch - approx. 30 per yd material + 30 to install). If they think it's too high,...too bad. Simply tell them that is how much you will have to have. Go NO LESS than 25 per yd..
    Also, Jazak brings up a good point. Is it actual mulch, or is it just slag? HUGE difference in weight and handling. It is amazing that people actually take this crap to put in their beds and such just because the tree companies are happy to dump it for free in most cases. What is even MORE amazing, is when the people go down to the city yard and have this crap loaded up for the low low price of $12 a yd.. Thd thing is, the people don't realize that nt only is the city cutting down and trimming trees off lines and such, but they are also cutting down many diseased trees as well. Now THIS is what I want in MY beds!