1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spreadsheet for computing excavation times

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by D Felix, Sep 4, 2004.

1. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought I'd pass along a "quick-and-dirty" method of calculating the amount of time excavating will take for certain projects.

The spreadsheet is in Excel. All measurements are in feet. It's fairly straight forward; all you need to do is plug in measurements for the length, depth, and width, as well as cycle time, operator efficiency and bucket size. Scroll over to see the results.

Cycle time is how long it takes to dig a bucket, swing and dump and return to dig. I was timing myself the other day running a Bobcat 435 ZHS, and was getting close to 3 1/2 cycles per minute, turning 180 degrees. That was also digging close to the surface too, as the hole gets deeper, the amount of time per cycle will increase slightly.

Operator efficiency should be self-explanatory- its the percentage that the operator will be digging in any given hour.

Bucket size is up to you to figure out. Bobcat excavators I can help with, some trenching buckets are listed here: http://www.bobcat.com/products/att/specs.view.html?category=AT-BUCKET-XCHANGE-TRENCHING
    Some grading buckets are listed here: http://www.bobcat.com/products/att/specs.view.html?category=AT-BUCKET-XCHANGE-GRADING
    Other buckets from other manufacturers you'll have to find out for yourself.:) Warning for Netscape users: The BC site has caused my Netscape to crash today, several times. It opens fine in IE, but I don't know what the deal is with Netscape. I've opened it many times before with it....

As far as the "answers", the "in-ground" cubic yardage is the actual cubic yardage of the hole you will create. The "loose" cubic yardage is the "in-ground" increased by (I think) 25%. If you dig in different soils than I do, you might need to change that percentage a little bit.

Hope somebody gets some use out of it, though it's not hard to make one on your own.....

Attached Files: