Spring 2008 outlook

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Mar 28, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What's your predictions for this spring - schedule, over booked, money, weather kind of things?

Last year we were working March 19th doing repairs and a few start ups. This year, March 28, we have barely done anything. Our spring has been cooler than last year at this time. But last years' spring overall was fairly mild so we never got the big huge overwhelming rush for start ups and repairs. It was consistent and manageable. This year, I'm looking at the massive rush again, and possibly being overwhelmed, maybe losing a few customers (unless Tom Tom is slow and can help out).

I'm also thinking due to the economy some people will do some of the basics themselves. More may try to start up the system themselves and only call if there is a problem or repair needed. Also minor head replacements may get done by homeowner.

I also don't think I'll get any new companies referring our company, as more are going to primarily service and repairs (Tom :waving:)

I'm always afraid of the late April freeze that we always get. Big snowstorm 4/24/07 caused problems for me, including power outage at home/office.

Kind of the typical stuff for me to worry about. But I'm trying not to worry too much anymore. Last year I took a LOT of time off through the entire season, and want to continue to do the same this year. Very enjoyable.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I predict doom and gloom.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Hank tells me he has two month's worth of new work, which is par for this time of year.
    This area had below normal temps. last winter, so I expect service work will be up.
    He's trying to get all our systems ready to rock so as to avoid the "rush" we always
    seem to have. High end housing is slow, but most contractors that specialize in that
    market are busy, just not "swamped", as we usually are. It's snowing right now!

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Well so far we did 1 install , 1 rebuild and have another install sceduled for Monday. I have about 200 startups booked. I think July / Augest will be tough months.
    I had a $17 an hr guy not come back and Im not replacing him.

5. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

This year has a seen a slower start than previous years. But, The weather seems like its been cooler than normal?

I'm hoping for the best and I don't think the economy is as bleak as the evening news is making it out to be.

6. Mike Leary

"Augest" is the cruelest month. :hammerhead:

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

the dog days of august.............

8. Mike Leary

And, you are?

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Better warm up soon, I need to get away from this board......

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

SOmeone who cares about spelling, unlike me,lol