spring advertising idea

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grass disaster, Jan 22, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

what do you think of this idea???

500 magnet business cards =$120
    500 stamps = $195
    500 envelopes $20
    500 flyers $10

total $345

was planning on sending these out to a select area of town where i would like to get more business. i figure this type of advertising will keep advertising if they place it on their refrig.

i would think 500 of these would reach quite a few homes.

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Type up a intro letter talk about your services and your ability. the magnet are still a good idea. If you do work in the area give some refrences so they can take a look at your work. Just my 2 cents. Your idea is good though.

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i do have some business that i have that are in the same area and look like the best lawns in town.

would you design the insert more as a flyer or as a letter???

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

500 is not enough.

5. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Grass
    I would design it as a letter more personal like your trying to reach the individual that is reading it. Then if you get the response from the letter follow up with a flyer /savings/ list of great services, whatever to make the sale. Just my two cents looks like you two guys have been on here (LS) longer than I have:waving: Gold and Senior member

6. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

I like the magnet idea, but as mtdman said, 500 is probably not enough. You may want to at least double that number.

7. rockymtnmf

rockymtnmf LawnSite Member

grass disaster... FORGET THE MAGNETS. They are not in the budget this year!! They are nice give aways but foolish for you at this point. You need customers! Take that $120 buy 500 postcard stamps!!! Then, get another $70 somewhere (beg, borrow, whatever) and goto gotprint.com. Buy 1000 postcards with it (they dont sell 500). And mail out those cards!! 500 isnt many, and you might only get one sale. But it will money better spent than the $120 you were gonna spend on the magnets.

This way... you are contacting 500 extra people for only an extra $70.00.

Take it for what its worth. $120 is too rich for your blood right now. Get the magnets next year!

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Rocky here. Magnet b-cards are for established customers so they have your info on the fridge. Take that money and increase your range. Hell, if you can afford it go for 2000 post cards. Flyers are a waste to mail, and here's why. IMO.

The average postal patron looks at their mail for 30 seconds. Sorts out the bills, the letters and junk mail. Junk mail goes in the trash. Bills go in the pile, letters get opened. An envelope with a flyer in it is junk mail. I get that kind of stuff all the time from mortgage companies. You can always tell because they either spell your name wrong, or have the "or current resident" in the address. I never even look at that stuff.

With a catchy, attractive postcard, you will get a couple extra seconds. They will glance over it quickly, and if interested at all at least keep the card and not throw it out at first. With the postcard, your name and image and what you do gets to them right away, they know what you're advertising and you get your foot in the door, so to speak.

I do postcards in the spring and I get calls all year long from them. Sometimes if people don't need your service, they might stick the card in a pile or on the fridge in case they do later. Then they pull it out and give you a call. With a flyer in an envelope, you get thrown in the trash.

IMO, this goes for flyers rolled or folded and stuck on doors, mail boxes, newspaper boxes, etc as well. Rolled or folded just makes it easier to toss out.

Finally, don't get discouraged if you don't get a lot of calls from the direct mail off the bat. IMO, direct mail is more for marketing yourself. Getting your name and number and service in the public's mind. Often I don't get immediate results, but I do often hear "I got your card, then saw you in the phone book/down the street/at my neighbor's house so I gave you a call." I try to use the post cards to saturate the areas I want to work in and increase my name/brand exposure to those people and get it in their minds for when they are looking for a lawn care service. I've noticed that over the 3 years I've done the postcards, I get more response as time goes on from those areas.

9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I would put all $345 into the flyer and its distribution. I would only give a magnet to someone who has already given me money ie. a customer.

10. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice post! As stated by rocky - for the extra $70 go for the flyers.