1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spring Aerating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Sep 24, 2000.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys aerate in the Spring? I am in Maryland and Fall seems the most popular time. I have heard if you aerate in the spring this allows crabgrass to come up and other weeds, is this true? I would like to aerate in the spring in fall but don't know if there is a market for it.
  2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i am not the expert on this subject but i would have to say that the fall is the best time. For one it allows the grass to get a developed root system in the fall and the spring, then it will be strong for summer, also if you can not seed a lawn and put down pre-emergent at the same time.

thats all i have to say, i am also interested in what the "experts" have to say.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i aerate ion fall because when i aerate i also over seed. Fall is the best time to seed because the seed has that fall, winter and spring to develope strong mature roots and can handle and drought or high temps of summer better. When you seed in the spring by time the grasses roots begin to mature they are stressed so much by high temps or drought that the grass go dormant and never returns. Also fall is a great time to aerate because fall is the time when grass in sending out new stolens like crazy to thicken turf.. aerating helps this process dramatically.
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

It USED to be the theory that Spring aeration "poked holes" in your pre-emergence crabgrass protection.

More recent tests from MSU and Cornell University have indicated otherwise.
  5. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

ANYTIME you aerate, you open the ground up and expose dormaint or "dead" weeds and need to pre-m them in the early Spring and then again in 4-6 weeks, It doesn't do any good to do pre-m in the Fall.
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually Pre-emergent in the very late fall helps with chickweed, henbit, and other winter weeds. I hit my yards with Pre-emergent in late November well after they have been seeded in Sept.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have not aerated in the spring, growth is very good and very fast around here, I do not need to help it. :) I have started aerating during the summer when the ground gets hard and dry to provide access for water to enter the ground, so far it has worked very well.

I aerated and over-seeded my lawn first this year instead of last, the plan is to apply Dimension later this fall to keep poa-anna out. Have had problem with it every year and hope this works.

8. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Spring is generally super busy with everyone wanting clean-up's, mulching, and other landscape work that aerating is iften difficult to fit in the schedule. I try to push it this time of year.